Chapter 40

Three days passed since the last incident. Xu Ling Ai has been locked inside her chamber since then. Her routine repeated with getting bath, eat and sleep inside the room.

Guards were outside of her room so she couldn't get out. Gu Mama told her that Li Zhao ban her from going out for a week. However, it was only three days and she had gone crazy and stressed about his condition.

"Will he be okay?" She have been asking those question for about 1000th time. But Li Zhao never came.

Xu Ling Ai sometimes would request the guards to tell Li Zhao that she wanted to meet him but no replies. It increases her worries even more.

"Of course His Highness is fine. Why would anything happen to him?" Gu Mama and other servants is not aware of the incident.

Even Xu Ling Ai wouldn't talk about it. It was Li Zhao's privacy. She couldn't tell it to anyone. But she was so worried if something happen to him.

Xu Ling Ai been blaming herself for what happen. If she didn't accidentally slapped his mask, probably this wouldn't happen.

"Princess Consort stop walking back and forth. This old woman is getting dizzy." Gu Mama complained looking at Xu Ling Ai agitated state.

For three days, Xu Ling Ai couldn't stop walking back and forth. Couldn't sleep and eat properly. Whenever she tried to sleep, Li Zhao's bare face crash into her mind.

"This can't be happening! I need to go out! I've been very patient for the passed few days but today is no more." Xu Ling Ai determined on going out of the room.

Looking around at every structure of her chamber, the only way out was the window. She then whispered her plan to Gu Mama.

"Gu Mama help me. Distract the guards. I will go out through the window." She had already the plan picture in her mind.

"But..." Gu Mama wanted to protest but Xu Ling Ai shush her.

"Go!" Xu Ling Ai stand behind the window getting ready to jump once the guard is no more there.

"Help! Help! Princess Consort fainted!" Gu Mama started her acting. Her screamed gain the guard attention and footsteps can be heard towards the chamber door.

"Gu Mama!" Xu Ling Ai half whisper while giving Gu Mama a thumbs up.

While Xu Ling Ai on the other hand open the window a bit to check. After she make sure it was clear, she look down at the ground. It was quite high for someone who is afraid of height.

'At this rate, I could become an assassin!' She thought jumping out of the window like a man.

Once her foot land on the ground, she sprint towards Li Zhao's study room. The moment she ran, the guard finally realise that she had escaped.

"Argh!!" She feel so afraid when she saw them chasing after her. Like zombie.

Just like that the run and chase competition begin. Xu Ling Ai ran like her life depended on it. She look back and saw that the guard is chasing her.

Without wearing any shoes, she speed up like there's no tomorrow, she finally arrived in front of his room.

"Stop." Xu Ling Ai turned around while signaling them to stop.

She try to catch her breath. Her hand on her knee breathing heavily. Her feet scratched a bit due to running against the grass and stone.

"Li Zhao!" A minute later, she finally called him out.

The guards want to tell her that Li Zhao is not inside but a cold and hard voice suddenly allow her in.

Li Zhao know he couldn't hide from her forever. She will eventually get curious and wanting to know about it.

"Let her in." His voice was loud and clear.

"Yes! Go back. I will come back on my own later." Xu Ling Ai stick her tongue out at the guards.

She try to ease the atmosphere because she know they are afraid of being punished. But she will make sure Li Zhao didn't punish them because she came out on her own way.

Rushing inside she finally saw him. He is sitting on his antic chair. Scanning him up and down, she feel very relieved that he seem well and sound.

"Are you f-fine?" Xu Ling Ai croak out a sentence. Her mind keep reminiscing his face without mask.

"Just like how you see." Li Zhao don't even look up. He kept his eyes on the scrolls. He is afraid on seeing any hateful gaze in her eyes.

"Why haven't you visit me?" She was hesitant but said it anyway. But this sentence made him look up.

Li Zhao were very shocked that she ask why he didn't visit her. Will she like it if he visit her? It was very hard for him to not facing her stubbornness in his daily life.

However, Li Zhao did not answer the question. He just stand up silently and walk towards her direction. Xu Ling Ai look up at his haggard expression.

"You should have wear shoes." Li Zhao reprimanded her before he pick her up bridal style.

Unknowingly, her heart beat so fast. She remember when he piggybacking her the whole way to the manor. Li Zhao is the only man she really get so close to.

Placing her slowly on a chair, he picked some medicines for her feet. Xu Ling Ai just watch his activity in silence. She don't know what to do nor say.

He kneeled down in front of her while placing her feet on his hands. To Xu Ling Ai who is a modern girl, it may seem normal. But to Han people, it was the most impossible thing to happen.

"Are you not afraid of this lord?" Li Zhao suddenly ask while tending her wound. Silence fell upon them.

Xu Ling Ai look at him deeply. She couldn't figure him out. To be honest, she don't fear him.

He have never lay his hand on her and he has been treating her with so much care. All he did was avoiding her because of some privacy. She now understand him.

On the other hand, Li Zhao has never once mind or care if people wants to put any worth on him or not. Li Zhao never care about what others think about him. But she came. He care about every thought that she had on him.

P.S.
Any kpop fans here?

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R