Chapter 27

Duke Su Manor

Standing outside the manor, she walk back and forth. Considering whether to go in or not. She is afraid it will be awkward giving him a gift out of nowhere.

'What if he reject my gift?' Feeling so dejected she lean her head against the pillar.

"Princess Consort?" A voice startled her that she jumped. It was Wuxi.

"Yes it's me. Why?" Xu Ling Ai turn to look at Wu Xi. She unknowingly look around like she is hoping to meet someone else.

She thought Wu Xi is always with Li Zhao but she was wrong. This time Wu Xi was alone.

"Are you looking for His Highness?" Wu Xi question when he saw Xu Ling Ai's anxious state.

"What? No! I mean yes." Her words staggered as she hide the fan behind her back.

"His Highness is inside. He went back earlier from the palace."

"Anyway, where are you from Princess Consort?" Wu Xu added pointing at her dirty robes.

"This? I fell down but nothing need to be worry at." Xu Ling Ai try to shake off the dirts but it seems permanent.

"Princess Consort I will leave first. I just remembered I have something else to do."

"Sure. I also will went inside." Xu Ling Ai smile a bit and proceed to go inside.

She then head to Li Zhao's study room since he is always there. Reaching in front of his room, Xu Ling Ai asked the guard if he is busy. She don't want the old situation to happen again.

"Your Highness?" Xu Ling Ai called him out when she saw no one sitting on his seats.

Looking around, she finally notice he is standing outside of the study room. She walk towards him. He was standing while reading the scrolls.

"Your Highness."

"What is it?" The moment she stepped in, he had noticed her. Li Zhao even saw her messy states but he chose to ignore it.

"Are you busy?" Xu Ling Ai hesitantly question.

"Yes." His voice were very cold and toneless. No warmth in it.

"I will be quick then." She take out the fan from her sleeves.

Before she could give him the fan, he suddenly said something that would hurt anyone's heart.

"We are married because of the royal decree. This lord hope you know your place. Don't went out and went in into this manor like it belong to you." Li Zhao's words slice through her heart.

She could literally hear the word "Ouch" deep in her heart. Xu Ling Ai had never put any hope in their marriage.

Still, she thought they are at least not in a very bad relationship. Maybe friends.

"I don't care about your relationship and Empress Yi. As long as you live in my manor, you must follow my rules." He added heartlessly.

Xu Ling Ai stood there freeze. She look straight into his eyes hoping to find a trace of teasing but she found nothing.

She was ultimately disappointed. They are just fine for the few days but he suddenly back to his moody self without any explanation.

She is not a doll and she do feel emotion. The way he said made her feels like she is leeching off of him.

"The money this lord provide you is not enough?" Li Zhao's tone were mocking her. He was indicated the gift that she received from Empress Yi.

He look at her who stay silent. Xu Ling Ai merely look at him. Li Zhao would avoid her stare.

At this kind of situation, one would defend themselves or covering their intentions but she stay silent.

"I came to give you this." She put the fan on his study table.

"You always gifted me things but never once did I repay you." Xu Ling Ai finally spoke up.

Her hands were shaking and she know why. She is totally disappointed with herself. When it comes to him, she just couldn't yell and let out her frustration.

"I am completely aware of my own place. I never want this title as a Princess Consort. To make it clear, I myself also was forced so don't act like you are the only one who is hurt by the imperial decree." She respond back with a shaky tone.

"I am sorry that I shamelessly living here without paying anything. But I will only live here until the day you divorce me." Xu Ling Ai added. This time it was Li Zhao turns to stay silent.

"So if you want to get rid of this burden, just divorce me. I will accept it wholeheartedly." Complete voicing out herself, she left him alone standing there.

Li Zhao stare at the fan that she left for him. Bending down to pick the fan, he opened it up.

His gaze fell on the calligraphy of his name. He is sure that it was written by her since there is no one's calligraphy is bad than hers.

His first time receiving a gift while quarreling. He try to stay unbothered but her expression earlier keep disturbing his mind.

P.S.

Xu Ling Ai is disappointed.

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R