I'm Fine

Part 1 x

Okay, so I've been meaning to do this one for a while.

So back in December, I got Covid. It wasn't the worst case but it still sucked, so yeah, this is basically a HTTYD version of how that went for me. (Minus the person helping. I went downstairs and took some meds and passed out on the couch but changed it for the Hiccstrid element)

Set during season 5 of RTTE.

***

"Astrid?"

The blonde was shaken out of her thoughts at the sound of Hiccup's voice. She winced as she realized he had been talking to her and she hadn't heard a word of it as she could practically feel her brain pounding against her skull.

"Yeah?"

"Tomorrow? You and I are going on a recon mission?" Fishlegs repeated.

"Right, recon mission." She muttered to herself.

"Astrid, are you feeling okay? You seem a little... disconnected." Hiccup worried.

"I'm fine." She fibbed with a blank expression on her face as her gaze locked onto the clubhouse floor. She was not fine. Her head had never hurt more. But of course, she would never admit to that. "Just tired. Been a long day."

She wasn't wrong about that. Astrid had woken up at the crack of dawn for her early morning flight, which was cut short by the hunters who had decided to attempt an attack. Then she had been sent to Berk to pick up some provisions with Snotlout and the twins. You can only imagine how exhausting that was, especially since she did most of the work herself.

"I think I'm gonna get an early night." She admitted, standing herself from the ground. "Long flight tomorrow."

"Hang on, I'll walk you." Hiccup insisted, hopping from the ground.

"Hiccup, I'm fine." She repeated.

"I know." He smiled. They waltzed over to Astrid's hut in near silence along the way. "Are you sure you're okay?" He checked again. "You're not saying much."

"Just a little headache." She admitted. "Nothing a little sleep won't fix." She smiled reassuringly. "You stuck me with Snotlout and the twins all day, what did you think was gonna happen?" She tried to joke.

"Okay, just get some rest." Hiccup suggested. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Night Hiccup."

"Goodnight, Astrid." He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and waited for her to enter her hut before turning back to the clubhouse.

***

A headache. Nothing a little sleep won't fix. That is, of course, if you can get to sleep. Astrid had been lying in bed awake for four hours making it almost midnight. And while her headache had only worsened over this time, she had found a new source of pain. Her back. Stormfly rested her head on the end of the bed, looking up at her rider with worry. No matter which way she laid, it hurt all the same. She sat up, wondering if that would help. Nope. She attempted to stand.

The pain in her back was so severe that she didn't even think about the room spinning around her. She paced back and forth for almost an hour. It didn't help, but it didn't make it any worse.

It was now 1 am, and the pain was intolerable, to the point where she just wanted to cry. She decided to try laying down again and spent half an hour trying to get comfortable before giving up and sitting up again. At this point she was so exhausted, she let a few tears escape her, but fought back anything more.

3 am rolled around and she could no longer stand it. She took a slow walk to the clubhouse, pausing at Hiccups door for just a moment. She was tempted to knock but decided against it and continued towards the clubhouse. She rested both hands against the center table and rocked back and forth in an attempt to ease the searing pain.

She took a few deep breaths, desperately fighting the tears in her eyes as her chest started to ache. Though her attempts were starting to fail now as tears rolled down her cheeks, almost consistently.

"Perfect." She rolled her eyes, taking in deep raspy breaths.

She reached a hand around under her blue nightgown to loosen the knot of her bindings, hoping to relieve some of the pressure on her chest. But her hands were so shaky and she was beyond exhausted, so let them drop to the ground.

At this point, she was almost scared. The Scourge of Odin hasn't caused her this much pain. She glanced back towards Hiccups hut, once again debating whether to wake him up. But ultimately decided to leave him be. She paced around the center of the clubhouse for yet another hour, the pain only getting worse and worse by the minute.

By this time she was sobbing hysterically, with no real control over it. She was burning hot yet freezing cold and she couldn't decide which. She had been so busy focusing on her pain, she hadn't noticed her dragon sneaking out until;

"Astrid?"

***