You Can Let Go Now, Daddy

⚠️ TW ⚠️
Prepare to cry 💛

So, I have a tendency to make Astrid's father a bad guy, cause it's just easier for me, so this is gonna be a fun write for me.

It starts with Astrid and Hiccup at 5 years old. 💛

If you haven't heard the song that inspired this chapter I definitely recommend it.

***

Winter was at its apex and there was a thick veil of snow covering the Island of Berk. The children of Berk were all snuggled up in their fur coats, playing in the snow.

Gobber had been busy in the forge for the past few days, working on some rather small skates for the wee ones. It was a reasonable thing to make, simply adding some small axe blades to the bottom of their boots.

Snotlout and the Twins were busy throwing snowballs at each other, Fishlegs was building a new friend out of snow while Astrid and Hiccup were with their fathers, braving the frozen lake.

Hiccup clung tightly to his father's thumbs to maintain his balance but soon let go, being strangely familiar with skating, while Astrid held her father's hand while his other held her waist to keep her up as she began slipping and sliding all over the place.

She felt the cool breeze against the exposed skin of her face, turning her little button nose red, as she gained some speed and felt completely free. The frozen river flying beneath her feet as her father whizzed around beside her, clinging tightly to her, in fear of allowing her to slip. Astrid glanced towards Hiccup, who was a little unsteady but still looked rather graceful, despite being a clutz on solid ground. She took a deep breath.

"You can let go now, Daddy." She spoke softly. "I think I'm ready to do it on my own."

"Are you sure, Lass?" He checked, honestly not loving the idea. He wasn't quite ready for his little girl to start growing up just yet.

"It's still a little bit scary, but you can let go." She whispered. Mr. Hofferson inhaled a deep breath of cold air and hesitantly loosened his grip, allowing young Astrid to slip from his grasp. She stumbled forwards, almost losing balance once or twice before tumbling into Hiccup.

"Sorry." She winced, sliding off of the small auburn-haired boy.

"It's okay." He pushed himself off the ground and got into a sturdy position to help Astrid up. It took a few moments but she soon found her feet. "You're just trying too hard to move forward." He explained in a timid and slightly feminine voice. "Try sliding your foot back gently. Like this." He showed her. He held his hands out in front of him and Astrid gripped his arms for balance as she attempted to glide forward, forcing Hiccup to skate backward, after a few strides she finally started to get the hang of it and let go. "I knew you could do it."

"Thanks, Hiccup."

***
Sixteen years later
***

The entire village gathered in the center of New Berk, now finally complete. Hiccup stood in front of the crowd, gazing in awe as Astrid made her way through the center of the crowd, with her father clinging tightly to her arm. Gobber was practically sobbing already, along with Fishlegs. Hiccup fighting back a few tears of his own.

Astrid had never looked so beautiful, but of course, to him, she was stunning every day, and he was amazed to see that she could become even more beautiful than he could have possibly imagined. The way her loose hair flowed in the cool winter breeze, all the way down to her hips. The way her wedding dress clung to her form. The pink flower Kransen around her head in place of the brown leather one that he had never seen her without. He even caught a glimpse of her boots under the long skirt of her dress. He rolled his eyes with a chuckle. Typical Astrid, to refuse to wear uncomfortable shoes for the sake of tradition. Everything was perfect.