3. The Great Outdoors

Start from the beginning

"Come on, just pick something," urged Omid. "How about a pony? You want a pony?"

"No."

"How about a whole elephant?"

"No."

"What about a twelve-foot ladder?"

"Why would I want a ladder?"

"So you can get on top of the elephant I'm getting you." Clementine chuckled at that comment. "Was that a laugh I just heard?"

"No," Clementine hastily denied.

"You sure about that?" asked a smug Omid.

"Well, maybe a little," admitted Clem.

"All right, you're trying to play it cool. I understand. Christa does the same thing," noted an amused Omid. "All though I don't think that'll last much longer. Once the baby is here she's gonna go all Lifetime original movie on us and start blubbering about how beautiful Omid Jr is every time she looks at him."

"You really think so?"

"I hope so, because that's totally what I plan on doing when the big days arrives," confessed Omid. "If we both end up as crying messes, you might have to help out with little Omid, be like a big sister to him when we're too busy crying in joy."

"What could I do?" wondered Clementine.

"Lots of things. As Christa keeps reminding me, babies need constant attention. You gotta talk to them, and read to them, and play with them. You think you'd want to help us with any of that?"

"Yeah. Maybe." Clementine hadn't given much thought to what would happen after the baby was born. She never even considered what she would do with the baby, but now that Omid was suggesting it, Clem was starting to wonder. She never had a brother or sister of her own, but she always wanted one. Being a big sister might be nice, or fun even.

If nothing else, it gave Clementine something to consider on the long and otherwise quiet walk through the forest. Eventually the pair did arrive at the stream Christa mentioned. Clem found it fairly underwhelming. In fact, it was so small, she was surprised Omid could fish in it at all.

"Well here it is, my little home away from home," announced Omid as he set his backpack on the ground.

"So, what happens now?" asked Clementine.

"Well, first I throw out my line." Clem watched as Omid cast, sending his hook and floater into the stream. They drifted with the current for a bit before running out of slack and settling in a spot just downstream of where they landed.

"Now what?" asked Clem.

"And now, we wait." Clementine watched the floater bob along in the water for a while before she let out a long sigh. "Yeah, usually not a lot happens after this."

"I guess I can get the water." Clementine went to collect one of the empty plastic jugs Omid had stored in his backpack.

"I'll give you a hand," offered Omid.

"Don't you have to wait for the fish?"

"One of the nice things about fishing." Omid planted the rod in an already dug hole and piled a few rocks against the bottom of it to weigh it down. "You don't actually have to be there in person for most of it." Omid grabbed the other jug and the pair treaded towards the edge of the stream.

"You sure it's okay to just leave it there?" asked Clem.

"It's fine, I do this all the time," assured Omid. "As long as I stay close most of the fish barely get anywhere by the time I hear them pulling on the line." The pair dipped the jugs in the stream until they were full. Clem had trouble lifting the filled container, needing both hands to pull it out of the water.