Nimueh's Revenge

This is it.

The opportunity she'd been waiting for, for quite a while now. And for all Uther's claims about protecting Camelot, sneaking into the castle had been embarrassingly easy. A dark grin curled her lips as the image of the king sleeping soundly in his bed came to mind. The thought that he'd only be drawing breath for a few more miserable minutes of his pathetic life, brought her immense satisfaction. She had vowed to make him pay for his crimes, and today she would finally follow through with it. Better six months late than never, after all.

She pulled her cloak tighter around her body, and padded quickly and quietly down the hallway, wracking her memory for the directions to the king's chambers. Her mind was already fantasising; the pleasant dying screams of the mighty Uther Pendragon as she plunged her dagger into his heart. Oh yes, she would enjoy it.

A small stab of something registered in the back of her mind, making her sigh heavily. She knew what it was. The tiniest sliver of guilt, as the familiar face of a woman appeared in her mind. It was safe to say, said woman would disapprove heavily of her actions. Had she still been alive that is, the scoceress thought bitterly.

She would make him pay. Then maybe she could spare someone else a visit. The wretched thing that had been the root of all this. She wouldn't kill it, of course. She wasn't that cruel. Besides if she did that, then the death of her best friend would truly have been for nothing. That, and she had a small suspicion the former queen would surely find a way to return from the dead and haunt her for the rest of her life.

No she wouldn't end its life. But maybe place a small curse or two on the nasty little thing. Not that that would particularly please Ygraine either, but she couldn't stand to see it existing so happily, without a care in the world, when it's birth had brought such devastating consequences on everyone she held dear. Though she supposed it's not entirely to blame, for all the pain and misery and death brought upon her kind, but either way, she would get her revenge on the Pendragons. All of them.

Her vicious smirk grew, as large familiar doors came into view. She scoffed, at the sight of a few guards stood on either side. Pathetic.

She hid in the shadows near the end of the hall, and peered around the corner. Her eyes glowed a brilliant, sinister gold as she murmered a few foreign words, and the figures who had been as still as statues, suddenly fell to the floor dead.

She let out a small chukle under her breath. It was almost insulting, how easy it was to carry out an assassination. She stalked forward, towards the doors that were no longer guarded.

At last. This is it. Her vengeance was within her grasp. The blood she so desired to spill, was just on the other side of this door. She felt anticipation bubbling up inside her, as her eyes once again changed colour, and all locks and bolts on either side of the door quietly unlocked themselves. She wasn't really making any concious effort to be quiet. In fact, she'd very much like for Uther to be awake when she killed him. How else would she gain the sense of satisfaction of seeing him cower before her? Seeing him incapacitated by her magic, unable to stop the course of her weapon. Seeing the light leave his eyes, as he draws his last breath. Blood roared in her ears and her cruel grin stretched impossibly wide, as she placed a hand on the door, ready to push it open.

Suddenly, a sound form the far end of the corridor froze her in her tracks. Guards? No. A servant maybe? No. She calmed her eagerly racing heartbeat, and momentarily quelled her thirst for revenge, as she concentrated on the disturbance.

Crying.

Someone was crying. Well, it seeemed to be more like wailing. A growl of annoyance escaped her, and the hand that had been raised to push open the doors, curled into a tight fist. Was it too much to ask to be allowed to murder the king in peace?