Nightmares

Arthur tossed and turned restlessly in his slumber. His arms flinging this way and that, as he tried in vain to fend off imaginary threats. A thin sheen of sweat covered his shirtless upper body; his bedsheets having been kicked onto the floor during the struggle. His breath came out in short gasps as his face constantly twisted into many different emotions; most prominent being variations of pain and fear.

His mind was in turmoil, flashes of nightmarish images appearing behind his eyes. The terrifying ghostly figure of his father being the main offender.

"Weak" the Uther in his mind spat in disgust.

"F-father..." he uttered weakly, unable to look away from the heavily disappointed expression on his father's face.

"You have ignored our traditions....failed our kingdom"

"No..I-"

"How could I possibly have raised such a failure of a son?" He questioned bitterly.

"Father please-"

"How can I be proud of a son who ignores everything I've ever taught him?" The former king stated more than asked, looking ashamed of his only son.

Every comment hit Arthur like a dagger to the chest, each one digging deeper than the last. His heart was shattering into pieces, as he listened to his father's hurtful words.

What if he's right? What if Arthur had failed his kingdom? Everything his father had built....his legacy, all destroyed at the hands of his unworthy child.

His legs buckled, and he fell to his knees, while Uther continued to fire accusations at him. The words swirled around him, drowning him in a whirlwind of shame, misery, defeat and a cold realisation of just how worthless he was, as a king and a son.

"I'm sorry" he whispered brokenly, tears flowing from his eyes.

"Failure" Uther snapped, at him from above.

"Not my son...."

"....Peace cannot last...."

"....How can I be proud?...

"You failed me...."

The words were all around him; knives being thrown from every direction. He clapped his hands tightly over his ears and squeezed his eyes shut; but nothing could silence the angry and bitter voices that were slowly suffocating him. He hadn't even realised that his mouth was open in an anguished scream; the noise drowning out his own voice.

Suddenly, there was a different sound. Somewhere far away...trying to reach him.

"Ar....ur" it called faintly, causing the king's eyes to crack open slightly.

"...Arthur"

Yes! The voice was much closer now, he could here it through the cutting words of his father. It held some familiarity, but Arthur just couldn't place it.