Chapter 60 - Epilogue

A crisp evening breeze brushed against my shoulders as the last rays of a summer sun cast an orange glow across the front porch of the cottage. At this time of year, the purple orchids decorating our entry-way garden were in full bloom, and I savored every moment that I could spend among Sarah's favorite flowers.

Sometimes, it was hard to believe that three years had passed since the fateful night at the magic faultline. The night that the Gemini Coven leader and the Rogue Alpha gave their lives to safeguard our future. I could still remember the night and subsequent days like it was only yesterday...

When I awoke in the packhouse infirmary after passing out at the faultline, Nolan told me everything that had transpired at the faultline prior to my arrival. As soon as Angelina and I revealed our proximity to the magical faultline, Zephora wanted to begin the spell. They sacrificed the vampire first, and his blood served as the catalyst that began the reversal spell. Zephora had nearly brought her sacrificial knife down on Nolan's carotid artery when Dominic interrupted.

The Rogue Alpha brought his own blade down upon his neck before a drop of Nolan's blood had been spilled. Zephora cast a spell to ensure that Dominic's body would not heal itself as his life slowly drained away, then she took her own life. The remaining Gemini witches completed the spell while the world tore apart around them...

We received word, almost immediately, that the hybrids were perishing. Their bodies could not survive the mingling of vampire venom and werewolf genes, just as Zephora predicted. Finally, the hybrids' reign of terror had ended, but the night left its mark on all of us. We'd all lost so much.

The bundle at my breast emitted a soft cry, pulling me from the spiral of my own thoughts. I smiled down at the infant in my arms, pulling her closer to my chest. "Shhh, my sweet. I'm here."

My daughter's cry immediately ceased as she peered up at my face. Now, she cooed, her eyes crinkling at the corners as one of her little hands reached up to grasp for my face.

"Were you having a nightmare, Sophia Grace?" I murmured, leaning down to press my lips to her forehead. Nolan and I decided long ago that we wanted to name our first daughter after his sister. "Should we go find Daddy and brother?"

Sophia Grace cooed again, so I stood from the porch step that I'd been perched on, stretching my legs before following the sound of laughter around the back of the cottage. I casually meandered along the little garden path that led to the backyard.

I turned the corner to find Nolan crouched in the grass, tossing an inflatable ball with our son. Our firstborn, Hayden, laughed hysterically every time his father pretended to drop the ball, and the joy of that sound nearly brought me to my knees. Instead, I smiled, leaning against the cottage's exterior siding to watch the pair. Hayden was Nolan's exact replica. Dark curls crowned the two-year old's head, and his eyes were my favorite shade of blue.

He teetered forward to pick up the ball that Nolan had rolled in his direction, cheeks still red from his latest laughing-fit. In one, clumsy motion, Hayden threw the ball toward my mate, who clapped his hands and complimented the boy's form.

I chuckled, finally deciding to reveal myself. "Careful, or he'll be able to out-throw you soon."

Upon hearing my voice, Nolan turned around, a smile stretching across his stubble-adorned cheeks as soon as our eyes met. "I can already tell he'll be a damn good fighter. He's a little athlete."

I rolled my eyes, although affection warmed my chest at the excitement in Nolan's words. From the moment we found out that we were pregnant, almost a month after the night at the faultline, he hadn't been able to stop talking about how our firstborn would be the best leader the Black Lupis Pack had ever seen.

Nolan stood upright, wiping his hands against the fabric of his jeans before approaching. He held out both hands, a silent request for our daughter. I slipped Sophia Grace into his embrace, forcing myself to ignore the flutter in my stomach at the sight of Nolan holding our second-born.

He grinned at Sophia Grace, bringing his palm up to brush back her wisps of black hair. "Don't think I've forgotten about you, my heart. I reckon you'll be able to throw your big brother around soon enough."

I laughed, shaking my head. The final rays of sun disappeared behind the trees on the horizon, and I cocked a brow at my mate. "Should we head inside and get the kids ready for bed? Dylan will be over soon to watch them."

"Are you sure we should leave them with Dylan?" Nolan's lips pressed into a thin line, but affection laced his every word.

"Yes, I'm very sure," I drawled, stepping closer to press my lips to his cheek. "I need a night off..."

"Good," he quipped. "Because I still want a rematch of our race to the lake."

I threw my head back in laughter as memories of our last outing resurfaced. We'd spent the entire evening frolicking in our wolf forms, and I'd beaten him in more than one race. He'd rewarded me handsomely for my victories...

"I'll get the kids ready for bed," Nolan announced, readjusting Sophia Grace in his arms. "You stay out here and relax." I thanked him, unable to stop myself from smiling as he called Hayden inside to get washed up.

Our life had become so blissfully simple. Three years ago, we'd nearly been robbed of it all. If it hadn't been for Dominic...

A familiar ache filled my chest at the thought of my friend. Since the night that we'd ended the hybrids, I hadn't seen him again. Neither he nor Sarah visited anymore, and I told myself that it was because they were happier in the afterlife– together. There, they could enjoy the existence that they'd been robbed of on earth. Still, whenever I did find myself saddened by the loss of my friend, I truly believed that he had a way of comforting me.

An uncharacteristically warm breeze swirled around my body as I returned to the orchid garden, seeping into my bones and filling the Dominic-sized void in my chest. I smiled, and the warmth slowly drifted away on another breeze.

I knew it was him. It was Dominic, wrapping his arms around me and saying, I'm still here. Be happy.

I sat on the porch, reveling in this knowledge until Dylan arrived and Nolan joined me outside. I stared out across the vast field surrounding our cottage, with the Black Lupis packhouse in the distance.

A small smile pulled on the corner of my lips as Nolan stooped low to sit beside me. "Everything okay?"

I took a deep breath, savoring the scent of Nolan's peppermint and pine and silently thanking the Moon Goddess for the life I'd been blessed with. If only I could go back to the Summer Solstice and tell my younger self that everything would be okay.

Turning back to Nolan, I brought my hand to his cheek and drew his lips closer to mine. This was the man who I got to spend the rest of my life with. This was the man whose fate was woven together with mine– a bond created at the beginning of time.

I finally closed the distance between our lips, sharing a gentle kiss. When I pulled back, I took his hand and stood, pulling him up with me.

"Everything is perfect," I answered, tugging him forward on the path. He squeezed my hand three times before jogging ahead, shifting into his massive black wolf mid-stride.

I smiled, took a breath, and jogged after Nolan, ready to enjoy every moment of eternity by his side. 

The End.