Chapter 56

After being shuffled out of the conference room, much to our displeasure, Angelina and I spent the better part of the morning collecting the various supplies that Zephora claimed they would need for the spell.

According to the Gemini Coven leader, the ancient reversal spell wouldn't require any specific ingredients, but it wouldn't hurt to have a collection of supplies to amplify the magic they would be creating. So, Angelina and I gathered an ungodly amount of candles from around the packhouse, canisters of table salt, and bundles of sage. These items were the basics, Angelina claimed, to any spell.

It was nearly noon by the time we'd packed the supplies into a few boxes and helped to load the items into Nolan's SUV, which would be transporting Zephora, Nolan, Dylan, Raegan, and a few spare witches to the faultline that evening. I set the last box in the trunk of the vehicle and stepped back, only to nearly collide with a firm chest.

I recognized Dominic's scent before I even turned around. A smile adorned his lips, causing the scarring on his face to crinkle as he looked down at me. "Got enough candles?"

I huffed a laugh, casting a glance back at the box filled to the brim with Bath & Body Works winter candles that we'd found beneath various sinks in the packhouse. "If Zephora's spell doesn't work, at least the faultline will smell like vanilla and cedar trees."

"The spell will work, Charlie," Dominic insisted. "And, when it does, we'll get to come back here smelling like Christmas morning."

I smiled and reached up to shut the SUV's rear door, dusting my hands off on my pants as Dominic and I slowly mosied back towards the packhouse's front porch. "So, you're off to hunt for a vampire?"

He ran a hand through his tousled black hair, a gesture that reminded me of his brother. "You'd be surprised how many vampire dens there are in the cities. I'll take a group of rogues and flush a den out. The vamps won't be able to escape as long as the sun is shining."

"That sounds a bit unfair." I frowned, glancing sideways at the Rogue Alpha.

Dominic sighed, "Desperate times call for desperate measures. Besides, I'm a rogue. I'm not governed by the usual laws of chivalry that the packs follow." A smirk formed on his lips, as if he was poking fun at the unspoken rules that traditional werewolf packs followed.

I giggled, rolling my eyes. I'd forgotten how charming the male's roguish act could be. "What are you going to do with yourself when you don't have any more hybrids to fight?"

Dominic blew out a breath, the white's of his eyes expanding as he considered my question. "I'm not sure. Perhaps I'll put away my 'leader of the rogues' hat and settle down... I might even ask the Luna of the Black Lupis Pack if I can take up residence somewhere close by."

Both of my eyebrows rose in surprise, and I couldn't contain the smile that formed on my face. "I have it on good authority that the Luna will say yes."

We shared a grin, but I forced myself to look away when emotion threatened to clog my throat. Dominic looked... happy. I couldn't remember the last time that I'd seen him look content. But his piercing blue eyes held a newfound peace, as if he could finally begin to move forward after learning the truth about Sarah. About everything.

"You deserve happiness, Dominic," I said, my voice thick.

"You do, too, Charles," he replied, extending a hand between us.

I didn't hesitate before taking it, allowing his fingers to envelope mine and squeeze. My Rogue Alpha and my friend. And now, in a way, my family. I cherished that moment, even though it was over too soon.