29: Proud

"Nell, can you grab that table please," Mum said the second she saw me. "Sure." I came in rush hour, perfect timing. Not. I've just got off a flight, I want nothing more than to go home and shower and call my girlfriend. I rush to the back and dump my case there and rush around to grab a waist apron, I tied it as I walked to the table that need waiting on. 

"Hi, I'm Nell are you guys ready to order?" "Yes please." I ran around like a headless chicken as usual whenever I'm home nothing has changed I guess the concern, mum had for me has washed away and was just a distant memory. "Nell. Hun..." I looked over my shoulder as I was carrying three trays to a large table. I smiled seeing Lizzie before focusing on the trays I was balancing on my hands and forearm. 

I set them down and hand out the drinks and snacks to the correct people before going over to Lizzie who was by the counter. "Hey, Angel." "Hey, I didn't have a chance to text." "I was worried." "I'm sorry. My brother got me from the airport and we were talking and then I came in and rush hour started. I don't even know where my phone is." "It's okay," "You want to wait in the back?" "I came to check you were alive and pick up your bag." I frowned. "I have a meeting in two hours for a potential project..." "I thought I was staying with my mum." "You hate it there." "But Cassie." "Right." "Lizzie, I'm sorry." "No, it's okay." "When do you finish with your meeting thingy?" "Like 5 ish." She was upset with me. "Can I pick you up after? I want to go to my dad today." "Today?" I nodded. "I thought we were going Wednesday." "I know but I um...I just um." "Need to talk to him?" "Yeah." "Bad day?" "Tony's home and I'm just..." "Stay with me." I shake my head. "We can stay at yours until Cassie goes up to bed or after dinner and then we can drive back home and we can sleep there." "My case is in the back." She smiled and pecked my cheek. She let herself into the back and I went to talk to mum. 

"Hey hun, thank you." She kissed my cheek just where Lizzie had moments ago. "How was your flight?" "It was good, it was boring. I edited on the flight." "You're always working Nell." "Yeah, it's called being an adult." "You're 22." "I am fully aware of that." "Take a break." "I don't need to." "Nell you need to." "I really don't mum." "Your brother said." "Tony is a drunk." "Eleanor Wren Hastings." She scolded me. "I'm going to head out with Lizzie and I'll see you tomorrow." "What about dinner?" "I'm staying at Lizzie's." "You have to see your brother eventually." "I know." "He's your brother." "I know." I untie my apron. "Don't do this sweetie." "Do what?" "Push us away." "I'm not." "You're staying at home. I'm sick of you running, Eleanor." "I'm not running." "You are. You need to come home and talk to your brother." "I've spoken to him." "In the hospital." "I told him if he didn't complete the programme to stay away from me. He made his choice." "He needs his sister to support him right now." "I'm going to drive Liz to her meeting and then I'm going to visit with dad and then I'm going to stay with Lizzie tonight." "You said you'd spend time with Cassie." "Cassie is at her friend's house she won't be home until after dinner it'll be too late to spend time with her." "You're being difficult." "Mum I'm tired and I just want to be with my friend." "What about your family?" I hand her my apron when I see Lizzie coming out with my case. 

"Elizabeth, leave them here, I'll take them home." "Mum," I warned her. "I'm worried about you." "Well Don't." "Gee fixed it." "Good, glad we ironed that out." I take my case from Lizzie. "I'll drive you," I tell her and she looked at my mum hesitantly. "Nell, we're not finished talking." "I'll call later." "Eleanor." "I'm going to exit the store now," I warned her and left. 

"Nell?" "It's fine, Lizzie," I say walking to her car seeing paps across the street from the parking lot. "For fuck sake," I say under my breath. Lizzie unlocks her car and I put my case in the trunk before climbing in. She drives the short distance to her house.

"ID." I hand it over already having it in my hands knowing the drill. "You're a fast learner." "What can I say routine is my speciality." I joked with Matty.  We got let through once I was signed in and I went to Lizzie's room and dumped my case at the end of the bed. "Do I have time to shower before your meeting?" "Yeah." "I'm gonna drive you." "You are?" "I am, in your car." "Okay." "What's the potential project are you allowed to tell me?" "Um, just this facebook show." "Any details?" "I'll know more after the meeting... But I like the sound of it, it's very raw." "Raw?" "Emotional." I nodded as I opened my case to grab clean clothes. "I'm going to stay in LA after the week is up." "Yeah?" "I've spent a lot of time in New York these past few months and I have more in-person work coming up." "I get it you don't have to explain, Princess." "I just don't want you to think that we just made things official and I'm ditching you." "Your work is demanding, I understand that." She nodded.