Family non-dinner

SAMMY

"Hey old roomie," Mitch greeted Jackson and pulled him into one of those bro hugs that requires slaps on the back. He'd opened the door for us as we arrived at Nash and Kennedy's place. "How's the new place?" Mitch asked. "Do you miss me yet?"

Jackson laughed. "I miss your cooking."

"I knew it!" Mitch grinned.

"I'm pretty sure you can stop over for dinner sometime," I suggested. "He usually cooks a lot."

"Yeah," Mitch agreed. "Stop over after work one night."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but give me a heads up," he said and winked at me.

I rolled my eyes.

Jackson shook his head but smirked, knowing exactly what Mitch was hinting at.

"Will you make that chicken dish I like?" Jackson asked.

Mitchell laughed. "Sure, Jackson."

"Alright. I'll be there next week."

We all laughed as we walked into the kitchen. We were getting together for dinner, at Nash and Kennedy, with little, as well as Jackson, and both sets of grandparents.

"What's so funny?" Howard, Nash's father, asked from where he stood at the kitchen island with Kennedy's father, Rob.

"Jackson invited himself for dinner," I said and nodded towards Mitch.

"Ah," Howard nodded. "I've heard about your cooking, Mitch. Haven't experienced it yet, though."

"Seems like a smart move, son," Rob added and slapped Jackson on the shoulder.

"He's a great cook," Jackson said.

"Yeah, and we all know you need help in the kitchen," Mitch added, and got a laugh from Rob.

"In his defense," Rob started, "Jackson never really got a chance to learn. The kitchen is Cindy's space, and she's a bit territorial."

"A bit," Jackson snorted. "The only one allowed in there was Kennedy."

"Eh, Nash got away with it a time or two," Rob said.

"Yeah, because he sweet-talked her."

"Who's sweet-talking who?" Cindy asked as she came over and hugged Jackson, then me and Mitch.

"Nash. Sweet talking you."

She giggled. "He always was a flirt, that one."

Howard chuckled and shook his head. "He got into a lot of trouble, but that smile got him out of a lot if too."

"Speaking of smiles, where's Ethan?"

"With Nash. He had a bit of a blowout."

"Wow." Jackson's eyes widened. "Nash is changing a diaper?"

"Is that what I smell?" Mitchell asked. "I thought it was Kennedy's cooking."

"Hush now," Cindy said and swatted him jokingly with the kitchen towel she had in her hand. "It's my cooking."

We laughed again, and it just felt so easy. This was what being with family was like, and Mitch and I fit right. The Reeds and the Millers included us, like we were one of them.

Nash appeared in the kitchen with Ethan in his arms less than a minute later.

"There's my little guy," Mitch cooed and reached for his honorary nephew. Ethan smiled that toothless grin only small babies do when Mitchell took him out of Nash's arms, and my heart melted.