Punctuating Dialogue

Punctuating dialogue

One of the most common mistakes I see on Wattpad is the punctuation of speech.

All speech needs some punctuation before the closed speech mark. This can be a question mark, exclamation point, full stop/period or comma but the rules for when you would use each are different.

You would use a full stop in speech when it is the natural end of the dialogue and the next line is a new sentence. Usually, this happens when a character completes an action that would work as a standalone sentence.

Example one: “I’m busy tonight.” She folded her arms sternly.

Example two: “I’ll be home later.” He swung his bag over his shoulder.

Can you see how the sentence that follows the speech in both of these examples is a separate action and therefore requires a full stop?

You would use a comma in speech when the sentence after naturally follows on and would not work as a standalone sentence. This tends to be when you’re explaining who said it.

Example one: “I’m busy tonight,” she said.

Example two: “I’ll be home later,” he replied.

Hopefully, you’ve noticed the difference between the examples of dialogue and now understand what the rules are about full stops and commas! And as a further tip, these rules are the same for if you have a sentence that comes before your speech.

Question marks and exclamation points are pretty self-explanatory as to when they are used. What’s more confusing is whether to capitalise the next sentence or not. Basically, it’s the same as the rules for commas and fullstops. If it’s a whole new sentence, it needs a capital. If it’s not, it doesn’t.

Example one: “Why are you doing that?” she asked.

Example two: “You’re being ridiculous!” He turned away from her.

Never use more than one exclamation point or question mark!! Doesn’t it look tacky and unprofessional??