Chapter 13

"DID you encrypt the phone?" I ask.

    Anden's voice has hints of disbelief, "How dim do you think I am?"

    "Currently? Quite a bit. Honestly, I am nonplussed."

    "As I am astonished that you know such a word."

    "Cute, but I was well educated."

    "In believing everyone is less educated than you."

    I poke his chest, "You were supposed to be a senseless, rich, man-whore, we all are disappointed at some point."

"You and your barbed tongue have no boundaries." 

    I smirk, "I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now would I?"

    "Never, especially when you're a thief."

    "I prefer vigilante."

    "I'm sure you do."

    The phone line crackles. A low, melodic voice comes through the speaker. "Quit bickering with each other, this is not what I had in mind when you said you wanted to speak with me, Verduna. What do you want?"

    "York, I'm glad you made time for me. My accomplice, Alewyn Castyan, wishes to join our cause."

    "Is that so? How can she help us?"

    I roll my eyes, "Must everyone have excessive skills to offer to your cause? I thought you were of the people."

    "We are. But, accepting one with talents is far better for our cause than accepting one without. I'm sure we can find something for you to do."

    "Don't be foolish, of course I have skills. Who do you think I am, an amateur in acts of rebellion?"

I can hear the smile in York's voice, "Anden, why did you choose a girl with such a forked tongue?"

"What can I say, it was fate."

"She blackmailed you didn't she?"

    I roll my eyes, "I'm disappointed that you already think the worst of me."

    "She will make a good shield for you."

    I cross my arms over my chest, "I am no one's shield."

    "You and Anden, you are to shield each other and fight for each other. Where you go he goes."

    "Of course."

    "Your voice is filled with bitterness. What do you want, Miss Castyan?"

    "Change."

    "You want something else too."

    My voice is quiet, "Vengeance."

    "You have quite the motive. Vengeance is a powerful weapon."

    "As are love and the dead, but I pick my own battles."

    "You will find that the path of La Lueur is not an easy one."

"That is something I am accustomed to."

    "Choose little wolf: you can continue on with your simple life or you can become someone who matters in our fight for change?"

    "I will join."

    "Good. Know that your words are binding."

    "Aren't they always?"

    "Yes. We do our best here to keep our members alive-"

    I cut him off, "But death is imminent and there is not always a way to delay. Yes, I know, I've been a part of criminal organizations since I was two, this isn't new to me."

    "Criminal organizations?"

    "Of course, how else could I learn my skill set."

    "I see. Please, swear yourself into our service."

    "I, Alewyn Castyan of the Slums of Concilium, swear myself into the service to La Lueur to change this country for the better and to rid it of all rot."

    "We welcome you to The Light. As soon as our tattooist is back in the country we will mark you."

    "Mark me, is that wise?"

    "Wise enough. I am pleased that you have joined our cause. We will reach out to the pair of you when we require your help."

    York ends the call and silence fills the room. The faint sound of a screaming siren fills the quiet of Anden's room. He pulls open a hidden drawer in the table, unrolling maps across the table. I look over the maps for a few minutes trying to find any different distinct markings. Finding nothing I speak out, "Why are we looking at maps of the city anyway?"

    "To better learn the streets."

    "Weren't you in the military little lord? You should know the streets, I am from the streets. I know this city like the back of my hand."

    "Really? Close your eyes and tell me how many alleyways branch off or Meori Road."

    I stare into his eyes, a confident smile on my face, "Six; three dead ends, one leads to the paper warehouse, one to the gambling pit and the final is Hangman's Row."

    "Hangman's Row?"

    "Aye. Anyone found dead has a rope around their neck. Those who take down the bodies to burn them notice there's always a bullet or a stab wound in the heart or stomach. I'm sure you've heard of Suicide Alley. Well, it's like that only those on the Row didn't kill themselves, the government did and is pretending otherwise."

    "How can you be sure?"

    "They're all branded traitors. Left foot. Easy enough to hide when the soul is wearing shoes. But they don't realize that we take their shoes and give them away. The streets know all."

We call into uneasy silence. I glance to the window before rolling up my sleeves looking back to the map of the city. I run my hand down the blade strapped to my left arm.

"What's the dagger for?"

"What?" he gestures to my right arm. I look down, finding the inking on my forearm, "Oh. I got it after Alice died, her name's hidden in the hilt."

"So not to spite my father."

"Why would a tattoo spite your father?"

    "He hates 'em, well the visible ones. That's why I made the dragon curl over my shoulder. You, love, from what I can tell are covered in 'em."

    "So?"

    "How'd you even get this job? My father explicitly asked for no visible tattoos."

    "Covered them all. Don't ask, don't tell."

    "'Course you'd say that."

"You asked." We are silent for a beat before York's words echo in my mind. We will mark you. "How'd you manage to hide your La Lueur mark, especially in the military?"

    "I waited until I got back home. C's last job before she left the country."

    "Really? Where?"

    "Are you asking me to undress?"

"Are you asking me to punch you?"

    "Never, I fear you'd mess up my perfect face."

    I gesture to the scar running through his eyebrow, "Someone already did."

    He claps a hand to his heart, laughter sparking in his eyes, "You wound me, Aleywn Castyan."

A/N: Thank you for reading! ❤️⚔️