Chapter 7

0032 HOURS

I sit on top of my bed, sharpening my knives as my tablet downloads all of the data from the first of six Verduna servers. Someone shuffles around in the next room, stumbling over something. I set the whetstone on the bed, pulling shoes on and grabbing a mask. I slip the mask around my ears and stuff the knife and a pick into my thigh sheath. Opening the door to my room I peek my head around the corner, looking for people. When I see no one, I close the door to my room behind me, taking a few steps down the corridor and pushing open Anden's door.

The room is empty. The only light coming from the cracks between the shades and the window. Shadows run across the walls and bare floor. Mussed blankets lay atop the bed. I look about the room, finding the balcony door open. I run across the room. Grabbing the railing I look across the grounds for Anden. Finding Anden's departing figure down the street. I climb down the side of the house, tailing him to the train station.

He gets in one of the train cars, I follow in suit, climbing into the one a few cars behind him. The train jolts forward, causing me to fall onto a wooden crate. I scoot across the floor, tilting my head so that I can see when he will jump off.

The train passes through Concilium. The whir of the wheels against the tracks pulls memories of visiting the mountains with Alice forward.

Stopping at the edge of the city. Anden gets off the train and walks towards a warehouse. I step off the train, following at a distance. A tall, androgynous person steps out of the shadows. A mask covers the bottom half of their face, a long-tailed coat flutters slightly in the wind. I slink closer, sticking to the shadows. Anden hands the person in black an envelope, they touch the edge of their tophat, tipping it to Anden. He turns away from the person, walking back to the train.

I slink back towards the train, waiting for him to climb into the car. He stops, turning around, he scans the empty lot, as if he knows I am here, watching him. He presses a hand to his waist, the butt of the gun pokes out from his coat. He slowly turns back to face the train. Climbing on, he says something into an earpiece.

The train pulls forward, I run from my hiding place, chasing the train. I leap. My fingers wrapping around the metal handle, my side slamming into the door of the car. I pull myself into the car, dropping to the floor.

 I pull myself into the car, dropping to the floor

The train stops. He gets out of his car, running into the shadows. When the train begins to move again I jump off, following him into the alley. Mansions surround us as we run back to the Verduna mansion. He runs to the back of the house. Stopping under his window.

He climbs up the wall to his balcony, disappearing inside his room. I sigh and walk around the house to the nearest door. Pulling the pick from the sheath I set it in the lock, pressing the small button. A faint click fills my ears, I push the door open, removing my pick and sliding the thin metal rectangle back into my thigh sheath. I lock the door behind me, pulling my mask from my face, tucking it into my pocket. I push the hood from my head letting it fall over the embroidered roses covering my back.

I walk up to my room, shutting the door tightly and locking it behind me. The screen of my tablet is dark. I turn it on, 2 of 6 servers downloaded. I curse under my breath. Pushing the tablet into the pile of clothes at the end of my bed. Unbuckling the sheath from my leg I stuff it back into the dresser alongside my hood and mask.

I lay on the bed, boots dropping to the floor. I toss and turn, sleep unable to find me as hundreds of possibilities of what occurred tonight run through my mind.

A/N: Hey sorry this took forever, my computer still won't let me edit and my phone is being weird about copy and pasting so updating is hard. I'm getting a new computer soon so hopefully that helps!
Anyways thanks for reading loves and I'll update again today and then try to update again soon!
❤️⚔️
MorrigansFlight