Chapter 3

THE night wind whips the hood from my head, leaving only the dark mask to hide my face. Black and silver hair flies about my head, wrapping around my neck and knotting itself in the wind. My feet land on the top of the lamp post, the light flickering under the new weight. My fingers hastily pull the cloth hood over my face, slipping the band back over my forehead to secure it. I jump from the post to the earth, landing upon the balls of my feet. I run across the street, ducking away from the lamplight and security cameras. A train sounds in the distance, a five-minute setback. I dash through the alleyways, waiting in the shadows by the train tracks as two hundred and ten tons of metal fly past me.

    The last car passes by. I climb down from my perch and dash across the tracks. Slipping through the shadows of the alleyways towards the graveyard. The black metal gates are closed, the gaps still large enough to slip through. Half asleep guards stand along the fence, their guns pointed at the ground. They walk away from the gate; I emerge from the shadows, barely slipping through the bars. I move behind the first row of columbariums, the concrete and marble cool against my back. Beams of light pass over the grass, inches away from the edge of the wall I hide behind.

    It passes by; I move down the aisle, heading towards the middle of the cemetery. The massive crypts sit in neat rows, in-bloom flowers sitting in large vases. I look over the engraved names, searching for the Caspian crypt. I sit on the grass in front of it, pulling the tablet from my pack, quickly logging into the Dragon, pulling up the council's identity cards. My fingers fly across the screen, breaking through the cemetery's security. A thin DNA plate emerges from the crypt wall.

    I take blood from the vial using an eyedropper, placing her blood on the DNA strip. The strip retreats into the wall, blue light flashing for a few seconds before the gate to the crypt opens. Feet crunch on the grass, I look behind me. A young woman begins to walk across the lawn, three bodyguards follow her. Shit. I stuff the tablet back into my bag, dashing to my feet.

    "HEY! STOP YOU! THIEF!"

    Shit. Mother of all the saints preserve me. I lift my hand to touch the hood, making sure it is set in place. I pull my mask farther over the bottom of my face and run. Weaving in between columbariums, I make my way to the fence. Lifting myself off the ground I climb over the fence, jumping to the ground. I take off running, feet pound against the street behind me. Blood pumping in my ears. My feet take me towards the slums.

    I rip the gloves from my hands, stuffing them in my bag. My fingers claw at the bricks, trying to find bricks that jut out. I climb up the wall, glancing over my shoulder, the guard runs down the street beams from his flashlight bouncing off the walls. My fingers wrap around a pole, stabilizing my shaking body as I try not to fall forty-five feet to the cobblestone and concrete. The beams pass to another street. I move from my perch, climbing onto the roof. I drop over the ledge, settling onto the cool metal. I pull my phone from the bag on my thigh, sending a quick message to Jada.

    Alewyn: I'm not coming home tonight

    I slip the phone back into my thigh pouch, resting my head against the brick. I shut my eyes, trying to forget the events of the day.

A/N: thank you so much for reading. This month is being very hectic and overwhelming but somehow I'm not dead yet. I have no idea when the next update is coming, if I'm lucky next week but I'm getting my blood drawn and doing a whole bunch of other stuff so idk.

Anyways thanks again and I'll see you in the next update.
❤️⚔️ MorrigansFlight