Chapter 5

THE walls of the foyer glint with sunshine. I sit on the settee, staring blankly out the window across from her seat. I dig my nails into my palms, pushing the image of Hamil's bleeding body from my head. The doors to the foyer open, revealing a thin, blonde woman. She walks into the room, a stiff yet purposeful stride with heels clicking against the floor.

    "Are you the Castyan girl?"

    "I am."

    She raises a brow as she looks me over, near disapproval on her face. "Good. My name is Suzanna. Follow me."

    I rise from my seat, grabbing the duffel bag of possessions from the floor, following Suzanna out of the foyer. Heels and boots tap against the marble floor as the pair walk through the halls, Suzanna pointing out places of the house.

    "You will be working for the young lord Anden. He has driven out and gotten countless maids fired. We hope you will last much longer than the last girl."

    "How long was she here for?"

    "Two weeks. With all of the upcoming balls, issues with the graverobber and eldest son's upcoming ascension to the throne, High Lord Verduna cannot deal with the boy."

    "Is James such a struggle?"

    "He does not care for the responsibilities of taking the Verduna throne. James is always out when he can, constantly surrounded by friends. Yet he must take the throne. Ah, here we are."

    We stop in front of a large dark oak door. "This is the young mister Anden's room. Your chamber is the room on the right. You are to attend to his every need, the uniform is modest black, gray, and white from nine am to ten pm unless there is an event at the house. You must be awake before seven, the young lord must be awake at nine unless there is an early event. You may be required to attend events with the young mister in which your uniform will change to fit the party. Your list of daily duties will be placed in your chambers every morning. Any questions?"

    "No. When am I to meet this young mister Anden?"

    "Soon. I believe he is to return within the half an hour. I suggest you take this time to sort out your things. You won't get another chance to."

    "Thank you, miss."

    "Just Suzanna, hun. Now you'd best get started, your duties start the second that boy steps foot on the property."

    She places the key to the room in my hand before walking down the hall. I drop the duffel to the floor, flipping the key over in my hand. I unlock the door, twisting the metal handle open. The room is small, painted an eggshell white. A twin bed is pressed against the west wall, a small empty dresser opposite of it. I toss the bag onto the surface of the bed, sinking into the mattress. What in the name of the bleeding saints did I get myself into this time?

I sigh, unzipping the bag. I pull clothing from the it, separating the colors. Quiet melodies from the floor above float down to my room, filling the emptiness around me.