Chapter 11: The rejection

Chelsea's POV

I expect an insult, or even a push away from him, rather what I don't expect is a laugh. His body spasms, the intensity of the fits causing his shoulders to bounce as the chuckles leave his lips.

As I watch him, I feel ashamed, at the same time awed as he produces the beautiful sound thus this is the first time I've heard him laugh up close, on the other hand, I don't think I've ever been around to hear him laugh.

Slowly I observe the way his eyes cringe, his nose pucker up and his lips widen at the action. I explore the little flaws and beauties of his facial skin that all add up to make one perfect face. Just like last week, he came up in my face, I forget what is being said as I get immersed in my expedition.

"Don't mind me," he voices halting my examinations. "I heard you the first time."

"So what's your answer?" I implore as he gradually calms down.

"I'm truly stunned," he begins, his lips thinning out. "That you had such audacity to find me, climb up here, and tell me this bullshit."

"I'm sorry about the other day okay? And I guess this is my way of apologizing," I blurt, twisting my fingers in my lap and gazing at anywhere but his face.

"To be honest, you didn't do anything," he says putting me into a state of shock that I lift my head to peer at him. "You pity me, admit it."

"Why would you say that, I do not--

"You heard Miss Jane talk to me," he cuts me off, prompting my mouth to fall open. "I noticed the door didn't bang after you left and you were so dumb to let your head be seen through the transparent glass of the door."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to--

"It's fine," he smiles though it comes off as scary. "You don't need to apologize."

"Oh thank you, I thought you'll flip or--

"Why would I flip? I understand," he stops my appreciatory speech, places his palms on the hard plastic furniture, and stands up. "Because even if I don't want to fail and I badly need a tutor and all the smart students in this school are dead, I will not accept your offer."

"Oh," I giggle in hysteria to hide my hurt. Nodding I say, "It's okay, you made your choice."

"Darling," he swerves to me, and like Deja Vu, he stoops and traps me with his arms, this time his fingers grip my shoulder as he drags his right thumb on my chin. "If you wanted to visit my home, or like most girls, my room, you should have said so."

"That's not the case, I simply wanted to help," I defend.

"Let's not lie," he stares me dead in the eye, his voice hard, rather the caress of his lips on my forehead is opposite as he speaks in a husky tone. "I'll want to handle this banging body of yours."

With that said he releases me and smirks when he observes the flush on my cheeks caused by his words. He offers me a hard gaze for some seconds, and reverses, his long strides carrying him downwards and out of the school stadium.

I'm left glued in my seat, my cheeks hot and emotions haywire as I ask myself the simple question Is he flirting with me?

As predicted I have no answer to that, instead, I inhale deep breathes, and will my body to chill out, my emotions too hence I don't want to meet up with my friends looking all flustered.

Uche will surely interrogate me as to why and Rose definitely will blurt out something smart before I even get the chance to respond. I stay silent for about a minute, sensing the heat disperse from my cheeks.

Feeling a bit in control of my being, I rise from the seat and descend the walkway, my feet taking me across the racetracks till I'm back in the hallways. Happy to see we are still in lunch period I stroll in the direction of the cafeteria passing a few lone students.

Reaching the entrance, I saunter in and ignore the stares and hush environment at my appearance. My vision locates the two girls who are arguing over something I don't care to know about and waddle to them.

Noting my appearance, they stop their wordplay and peer at me inquisitively, Rose granting me that know it all smile and Uche holding confusion in her eyes as I lower myself into the space beside her.

"You look weird," she asserts observing my face, and I gape pointedly at Rose whose mouth is open to let out a response. Offering her a Don't you dare gaze I smile at Uche.

"Nothing," I shrug, stretching my hand to the red tray containing my French fries and a can of Pepsi.

Rose scowls in her seat and Uche doesn't ask any more questions, rather she resigns to studying me. I pretend not to notice and proceed to eat my lunch in a hurry thus it won't be long for the bell to ring, ending lunchbreak.

Thankfully Uche stops her scrutinizing session, bestowing me leverage to breathe freely as she goes back to bickering with Rose, this time it's a topic of why Rose decided for pink highlights. Yes, don't ask me for details about it, I don't have the heart to say all the dirty words they are hauling at each other.

Finishing my meal in record time, I push the tray farther across the blue plastic table, my vision catching sight of Terry lounging in his seat at the popular table, his posture showing sadness, or maybe I'm interpreting it wrong.

I'm not surprised he reacted that way, though I thought it would go differently, without the body contact and flirty words. He has every right to reject my offer, I mean I rejected him years back about a more serious matter, so it's only fair he did the same.

I feel hurt, rather I understand what I feel doesn't come close to the way he did in the hallway that day.
It's as the old testaments say, an eye for an eye.

Freshy❤️