Chapter 27

a/n: 🤭😏

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Who's keeping an eye on Oreo?"

I quickly arranged the the file with the list of names of who all would be coming and participating.

"I asked my neighbor to keep checking up on him in between hours for today."

Ian languidly followed me behind once I picked up the file and went towards the head of the security.

"Does he remind you of him?"

I kept walking and spoke without turning back, "Sometimes."

I couldn't just leave the red toy poodle. I didn't care whether Heath bought him for me or not, I loved him with my whole heart and if anything happened to him I didn't think I'll be able to survive.

Once I was done with the security instructions, Tina, one of the other directors of that day's event and my colleague, told me to meet in a conference room on the above floors.

When I went there, all the directors were present in the room as well as our boss.

"Good, now Holly's also here. Listen everybody," he gestured us to come closer around him.

"I'll keep this short and quick. As we know, one of the biggest law firms in New York and our organization are conducting today's event in a partnership. Our budget wasn't enough for today and they decided to help us and in return they'll get more publicity which would be good for their reputation."

We all nodded.

"So we all know that they said only few of them might be able to make it today right? Yeah, so there's change of plans. Apparently, they all would come today because their boss was having second thoughts and changed his plans. Now, I've gathered all of you here to give you a fare warning to be alert and act professionally at all times."

We all nodded again and he spoke, "Good, you all can get back at doing what you were assigned to."

Great, more people who would be hearing my past. Totally cool. Note the sarcasm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprisingly, the event was going smoothly. Loads of people showed up and a lot of them shared their stories. The directors had to give a speech which meant so had to I. Almost all the stories that were shared brought tears to my eyes.

There were various types of people present, people who had to suffer from abuse, people who had to suffer from depression, people who had become suicidal, people who had trauma. I just had one thought during the whole time: People who make it even after all the suffering, are the bravest and the strongest people.

The people from law firm who arrived were actually really sweet and sincere and I appreciated their genuine smiles and questions.

Once my story was unfolded, a lot of my colleagues and even my boss came to me. This was what I hated the most, the sympathy but I didn't hold it against them because I knew they actually cared about me.

I was still processing the thought that there were people who weren't using me anymore and that they do liked me, when I heard a familiar voice conversing with my boss.

"I'm so sorry for being late. My car's tyre got punctured in the middle of the road so that took a lot of time."

I whirled around at the speed of lightening, my heartbeat running fast minute by minute. Ian was by my side, asking me questions when he saw my distressed face but my eyes were wandering around the room to make sure I didn't mishear.

And when my eyes finally landed on the owner of the voice, all the air vanished from my lungs.

He was still conversing with someone when our eyes connected and a flicker of recognition occurred in his eyes.

Both our eyes widened and I felt a panic attack approaching me.

Revenge. Pretend. Lie.

I mentally started counting and slowly backed away.

I'm falling for you. I love you. We'll grow old together.

But nothing could keep me calm when I realized that Heath Duke was in the same room as me exactly after four years since he broke my heart.

Never again, I had promised myself but it seemed like fate and destiny were against me, yet again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE END.