Chapter 25

Greg Dean
Everything ached just a little too much. I hardly slept, but being given attention was nice. Lucifer was reading something out loud as Mikasa and I were slowly dozing off. It's something old, not that interesting, even with the record from McLennan's room I just couldn't finally let go. I opened my eyes slightly, Lucifer has tears in his eyes as he struggled to keep reading. I can see a bookmark peeking out from the pages. It was a white feather, maybe of a dove. Attached was a small pale red string with beads and a note.

To my angel it said. It was obviously from Will. No doubt about the sentiment behind the gift. I don't want to become between them and their goal. Thinking about it now, what was the goal? What's the purpose anymore? It's so much needless killing and I haven't gotten a clue why anymore.

"Why do you still search?"

"I think I'm lost," Lucifer said looking up from his book.

"Lost?" I repeat.

"It's all we know, it's all I know. How I found peace in this violent life. I have visitors, don't I? They're gonna be searching upstairs," Lucifer said. He ran his fingers through my hair.

"When do they remove the cast?" I asked.

"In a week. I sent him away, I know I should've asked. I know I should've left instea-" I quickly sat up. Blood rushing to my head, I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Anyone ever says you worry too much? You can't control everything. I wanted it. End of story. I could've easily hit him with a chair part and ran. I'm not helpless because I can't do anything. I choose not to do anything, I like relaxing and letting someone take control, much of like how Will is tired of being ordered around so he controls people," I scoffed.

"That's wise," Lucifer smiled impressed. Red eyes no longer had those tears.

"I overheard Jaime reading it out loud for a class. It was worth listening for. Did you know I never learned to dance," I said standing slowly. Lucifer looked at me and gives a bitch face.

"I can't walk so well either," Lucifer grumbled. I stuck my hand to him.

"Humor me," I said.

"A dance with the devil under the moonlight?"

"I'm a helpless romantic," I smirked as he got up and took my hand.

Wilbur
It was the thought. A first move. It's always the first step that's most difficult. Yet this felt like an incline. A never-ending hill of snow. With each step, my foot sank and I'd fall back a couple of steps.

"Pawn D2 to D4," I said.

"I've talked to that boy. I believe his name is Greg. Did some looking around-"

"He's not a mercenary and once you get him drunk he'll spill everything. He's a lightweight," I cut him off. I know where this was going. Nothing we do is for good intentions, Lylola was called the Siren of Constanța. Dragging people to their deaths after being sweet and helping them. There's no kindness with the Aftons, except my actual father and Harry. They were kind and tried. Truly, we just couldn't adapt after being thrown into a war.

"All precautions.Knight, G8 to F6. Assuming you did your scouting already. Have you heard from Mom by the way?"

"She's alive. Wants us over for dinner over the holidays. G1 to F3. I'm not going. I was gonna to speak with Adrian Michael. He's offered me a position. Of course, I'd have to give him something in return," I said.

"Seems good for you. A distraction from the storm sounds nice. My goldfish says hello by the way. E7 to E6," Michael says.

"You're dragging this on. For what?"