Chapter XXI: The Need For A Smartphone

Bắt đầu từ đầu

What was Noah doing..?

Before I could fathom the very possibility of such a feeling ever existing in the boy's heart, I felt his death glare on me, and I couldn't even lift my gaze to meet his.

I had been so distracted by my own thoughts that I did not notice the street lights were red.

"Don't go wandering like that with your head. Only fools die from car accidents. So don't be one"

With that, he let go of my fingers, only to grab my palm normally.

Like a disobedient toddler, I realized.

"Sorry" , I faked a laugh. "But don't you think Honoka was being a little crazy? thinking she can order us to just go shopping when the world is about to be subjected to war?" , I ventured, while leading Noah to the closest tech store. "This way" , I pointed.

Colorful light bulbs decorated the entrance, tied by a single thread taking the shape of an old telephone. It was glued to the glass-made door. Despite it being transparent, one could not distinguish a thing from the inside of the store, for the fluorescent lights were so bright that they allowed no one to stare hard enough to see what was beyond the door.

It was as if the store owner screamed Keep Out and Welcome at the same time.

"I think Honoka did the right thing" , Noah replied, his tone as dead as it always is. "We need more clothes if we are going to travel for long distances, or stay the night outside our homes. And we need to be in contact, if we ever have to split up. Although I don't see the need for our phones to be smart in order to do that."

Unfortunately, the store inside was nothing like one would have thought, for it was so empty that echoes resonated on every corner, and Noah's words were amplified ten fold as he said that last sentence.

..our phones to be smart in order to do that

be smart in order to do that

smart in order to do that

order to do that

do that.....

"Who is speaking? Who is mocking me??" , the boy's eyes flared scarlet, their heat reaching my skin, pricking me a little.

The echoes resonated again, which worsened Noah's mood even more.

"Noah, calm down!" , I screamed in whispers. "It's just the sound being repeated, like in a cave!"

"Did someone say smartphone?" , a man's voice echoed, so many agonizing times.

For the first time since we entered, I could look around the shop.

It was no ordinary place.

A perfectly squared wooden table stood in the middle of the room. With nothing but a counter machine on top, seemingly a thousand years old. Dust piled on it, one would never believe this was a shop for selling high technology devices.

On every wall hung countless weirdly-shaped phone cases. From freaky green monster eyes that looked as if it followed your every movement, to the lava erupting volcano that dripped a liquid on the floor, a gooey substance that reminded me of nearly coagulated blood.

I knew we were pretty much screwed when I felt Noah's now -sweaty hand let go of mine. I didn't have to look behind to realize that he had drawn his golden needle out of his flesh.

I willed my face muscles to remain neutral. I had no idea how the result came out, but I was sure as hell my voice was shaking when I said:

"E-Excuse me, sir. We are looking for a smartphone for my...friend"

I felt Noah twitch beside me. Strange how the boy I've known to act so calm despite everything could lose his composure at the word friend.

This isn't the time for daydreaming, Hitori! Focus! I mentally slapped myself.

We heard footsteps next. Slow at first, their pace quickening afterwards, as though someone went from walking to running to sprinting. It resonated in our heads just as much as the echoes did, sounding exactly like the ticking of a bomb very nearly exploding.

As they became louder and louder, I felt my heart about to break free of my ribcage, bursting the glass door open and running for its life.

I couldn't bear it anymore.

thump thump thump

thumpthumpthumpthumthump

As sudden as they appeared, the footsteps quieted down. However, my head wouldn't stop recalling the noise, as if it was a broken record.

A man stood behind the square shaped table.

My blood froze as I realized he had been standing there for a couple of minutes, however I had not noticed him until now.

Until he allowed me to.

His eyes gleamed scarlet red, making the dim light of the store seem like darkness in comparison.

The man had a black goatee, his cheeks hollowed out, as though he was starved for a thousand years. Eyebags lined the upper border of his cheeks, making him look more sleep deprived than any gamer out there.

He wore a red flat cap that cast shadows on his forehead, making his irises burn brighter, and a butterfly-necked black shirt that was too big for his skinny body, over gray cargo pants with pockets inside which he kept his hands safely tucked, with God knows how many killing tools he had in there.

His mechanical smile sent a chill down my back.

"Hello, Lovelies" , he declared. "Welcome to Typhon's Technopath Smartphone Store, where Technology storms in and out!"

Just as he said it, we heard a familiar sound behind us.

That of a key turning inside a lock.