14: A Date With Camilo

Mulai dari awal

“Thank you.” I say softly and he shakes his head, silently telling me that was the very minimum he could do. “I already don’t like him very much.” 

“Me either.” He says back, angrily looking over his menu. He takes a deep breath and looks up at me. “What are you going to order, sweetheart?” He asks and I smirk, looking into his eyes. 

“Sweetheart?” I ask and he shrugs. 

“Mirabel calls you something sweet, I figured I could try.” 

“I like it.” We both smile. “I’ll just have whatever you’re having. Everything looks so good here.” I pause, thinking for a moment. “How did you get a reservation on such short notice?” 

“I’m a Madrigal. I get in anywhere. Also, part of that chocolate I gave Isa was to sweet talk her way into getting us a table.” We both chuckle and Alejandro comes back with two waters and a glass of wine. 

“Waters and a little something extra for the beautiful woman.” Alejandro wiggles his eyebrows at me and Camilo scoffs. 

“Not a woman.” He states firmly and I hold a hand out to him, trying to tell him it’s fine. 

“I’m fifteen, I-I can’t drink this.” I tell our server, pushing the glass by the base in his direction. He pushes it back over to me. 

“Be cool about it and I could get you these on the house all night.” He winks at me and a shiver goes up my spine. I put on a polite smile and set it on the other side of me so I don’t accidentally pick it up and drink it. 

“Thank you.” I try to sound as sincere as possible and he nods.

“So, what can I get you guys?” He pulls his notepad out of his apron and I immediately hand him my menu. 

“I’ll just have what he’s having.” I smile. He turns toward Camilo who glances at his menu once more before speaking. 

“The posta negra cartagena sounds nice.” He hands Alejandro his menu as well and he writes that down. 

“I’ll be right back with that.” He tells Camilo coldly. Camilo looks at me, glancing between me and my wine glass. I chuckle at him, picking it up shakily with my non-dominant hand. 

“I’m obviously not drinking this.” We both chuckle and I push it to the center of the table to ensure nothing happens to it.

“You should try it.” He tells me and I cock an eyebrow at him. “I’m serious! It’d be badass.” He snickers and I chuckle, waving him off. 

“I’m not doing that.” I look down, chuckling. 

“I’ll try it if you do.” He leans over the table lightly and I smirk at him. 

“That’s the Camilo I know. You’re much more fun when you’re not fancy.” I lean over the table slightly as well, grabbing the glass and sipping it. I start coughing wildly at the dry liquid and when people start staring, I try to pretend like I’m fine. “Your turn, this was your crazy idea.” I say through coughs, passing him the glass. 

“I’m not a liar. Never have I ever backed out of anything.” He shakes his head, taking the glass and sipping it. His reaction is a bit more toned down but he’s still surprised by it. “Oh, God.” He coughs. “Never again. Maybe something better like beer or vaping.” He chuckles.

“Oh, I could never.” I shake my head with a small laugh. “I mean, addiction runs in my family.” A small moment of silence passes as I consider it. “Just once wouldn’t hurt.” I eye him and we burst into laughter. This is nice. “Hey, do you remember when I told you that I needed to talk to you?” 

“Yeah, what was that about?” He pushes the wine glass away from himself and Alejandro approaches with another in hand. 

“M’lady.” He smirks at me, setting it down. I eye him warily and look him in the eyes with fire. 

“We’d like a different server. One who isn’t an asshole, preferably.” I give him a spiteful smile and he looks about ready to burst a blood vessel. 

“Fine. You were ugly anyway, fuckin’ tease.” He takes the wine and throws it all over my dress, stomping away. I scoff and look up at Camilo who also has his jaw hanging open. After a moment, we both burst into laughter once more. 

“Hell yeah! That is why I’m in love with you.” He chuckles but then stops himself. We both go silent and he looks down, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. “Sorry. Too soon?” 

“That’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about.” He nods and I reach across the table for his hand. “Just to be clear, I talked to Mirabel and she’s totally fine with it so it’s completely up to you. I thought about your notes really hard.” 

“That’s cool, that’s fine.” He nods, swallowing thickly. I can feel his hand getting sweaty and I rub the back of it with my thumb lightly in an effort to try and calm him down. 

“It’s nothing bad. Just… how would you feel about an open relationship? I really, really like you and Mirabel and I couldn’t bare to hurt either of you and--” 

“That’s alright.” He smiles, lifting my hand to his lips and kissing it. “I’d love any relationship I can get with you. I just wanna show you how good of a boyfriend I am.” Wow. Easier than I thought.

“Well, you could’ve started by being yourself and not trying to be fancy and refined. Like, this is nice but I would have preferred to commit some arson with you.” I snicker. 

“I’d be down. We could just ditch.” He shrugs, getting ready to stand up. I pull him back down and look around, lowering my voice to a whisper. 

“Let’s eat first. We gotta at least get a meal out of this shitty place.” 

“You’re right, dumpling.” 

“Dumpling?” I giggle at the name. 

“Short for soup dumpling.” 

“Why soup dumpling?” 

“Because I’d like to rip your clothes off with my teeth and eat the delicious insides.” He wiggles his eyebrows and me and I scoff, balling up a napkin and throwing it at him. 

“You flirt!” I cackle. Another server approaches us and I feel the color drain from my face as I recognize him, my heart rate quickening and my breaths becoming more quick and shallow as my throat becomes tight. It’s my Tío Ramiro.

------------------------------------
Word Count: 1,638

Thank you so much for reading, I hope you enjoyed! Stay safe, my dudes <3

Published: (2/8/22) (Month/Day/Year)

Final Word Count: 1,666