Sehun's hand came up and cupped the spot she kissed and I wanted to shake him for falling so quickly under her spell, one that was only bound to hurt him, to destroy him again, one that I wasn't sure he would ever recover from. "Um... okay."

Evie turned to me and I didn't miss the way her eyes narrowed a fraction. "It... it was good to see you Y/N."

Not falling for her tricks, I released Sehun and crossed my arms over my chest, the hatred for the woman clear on my face and in my voice. "Yeah. I wish I could say the same. Now if you don't mind, we still have patients to take care of. This is a hybrid sanctuary, if you've forgotten."

Saying nothing, Evie gave Sehun a last smile then nodded and turned, leaving the sanctuary, her long brown hair swinging behind her. I turned to Sehun who was staring after her with a look I didn't like all over his face, one that said he was ready to run after her and pull her into his arms. Reaching out, I tugged his hand and led him down the hall to his office. As I passed Jin, I caught the look on his face. The same what the fuck was that? Look that I was currently feeling myself. Shrugging my shoulders, I said nothing. He gave me an encouraging smile and I knew it was his way of telling me to take care of Sehun, in any way I saw necessary.

Leading Sehun into his office, I shut the door behind me, keeping the conversation we were going to have away from other nosy hybrids. "Sehunnie? Talk to me."

Turning to me, I flinched at the ecstatic smile that was on his face, the way the happiness lit him up like I hadn't seen in years. "She's... she's back! My mate is back! She wants me!"

Holding up a hand, I tried to calm him down a bit, tried to reel him back in. Something wasn't right about this and I didn't want him to fall so quickly, just to get hurt again. "Hold on Sehunnie. We... we need to talk about this."

The smile disappeared from his face and Sehun's eyes narrowed. "What exactly do we need to talk about? You heard her. My mate is back and she wants me, wants to work things out with me. Why do we need to talk about it?"

Realizing this was going to be a trickier conversation than I thought, I tried to think about how to proceed without pushing him away, without making him feel as though I didn't want him to be happy. "It's been six years. Why did she finally decide to come back? It doesn't make any sense."

"Sure it doesn't make sense to you because you have seven mates who love you completely, who have always wanted you." Sehun's voice was cold, colder than I ever heard, a tone that was never directed at me. "You don't get it Y/N. You've never been rejected by a mate before so you don't understand what it's like."

Stunned by his words, I raised an eyebrow at him. "No? Then what do you call what happened with Jimin? With Taehyung? With Jungkook?"

Sehun let out a harsh laugh, one that sent uncomfortable shivers down my spine. "Oh come off of it. You're not a hybrid. You don't understand it. Even if Jimin did reject you, you wouldn't feel the pain like I did. You would never be able to understand. You're a human and would never be able to understand what we go through."

"I've been working with hybrids for seven years!" I knew he was happy that Evie was back, but from the way he spoke, I knew he wasn't thinking clearly, wasn't thinking about it rationally.

"Working with hybrids and being a hybrid are two completely different things. Something you should know by now. And if you don't know that? Maybe you are in the wrong place after all." Sehun's words were hard, no sign of the friend I had remaining, filled with nothing but contempt.

Not wanting to back down, but worried that he was going to take it too far, I tried one last time to reason with him. "All I'm saying is I want you to think about it. Please Sehunnie." I went to reach for his hand, but he pulled it from my reach.