Chapter 19

Arthur seems a little shocked by Aimee's strong words, but also looks quite proud.

"Conniving with sorcerer's? What have you done, Arthur?" Uther demands, his expression regaining some of it's fire.

"What do you mean, Sire?" Arthur asks, innocently.

"Why does this... witch seem to trust you so?"

"Obviously because I can be trusted not to murder all of her people," he replies, calmly.

"Arthur was always going to be a better, fairer king than you," Morgana agrees.

"He is to bring about a better future for everyone," Merlin says, his voice shaky, "including sorcerers."

"Let him go, Father," Arthur demands. "Please. We will leave, if you want, and only come back when you are gone, so I can take over--"

"You would leave for this sorcerer?"

"Of course I would! If it means he won't die, or be hurt, under the hands of my tyrant father, then yes, we would leave, together!"

"I don't understand you. I've always taught you right and wrong, and good and evil, and I have always said magic is the greatest evil, and cannot be trusted. How do you see differently now?"

"I was sceptical at first, but I had no reason to be. The druids looked after us and Merlin, when he was possessed. They tried to help him, to rid him of Sigan."

"And did they?"

"I..." Arthur hesitates. Because they didn't, did they? Merlin did. Merlin, the most powerful sorcerer to ever walk the earth. It could only have been him. "Yes. They did." But if it means Merlin gets to live, then so be it if he doesn't get any credit, except from him.

Uther sighs, and looks down to Merlin, who has a twisted look on his face. "You--"

Before he can finish his sentence, he's thrown back by a gust of magic.

"Sorcerer!" Uther spits weakly, only to find Merlin looking up at the person on his side, with wide eyes. Uther follows the servants gaze to find...

Arthur. Hate fills his gaze. The usual bright blue has been ensnared by the black, only now returning to their usual colour.

Uther freezes. Were they telling the truth after all?

"Uther Pendragon," Arthur drawls, approaching the king. "Remember me?"

"They were... They..."

"Yes, they were telling the truth. Too bad when you hear the word magic, your brain shuts down and you don't listen to reason. It's very useful for me, though. I suppose I should thank you, before I kill you."

These words come from his son's mouth. They sound like his son, telling him he's going to kill him. Then a smile twists Arthur's features, so disturbing upon his own son's face.

"He was in Arthur. Of course," Merlin mutters.

Aimee looks up to Gwen and Morgana, nodding to point out the distracted knights, and they rush to her and Merlin's aid. They steal the keys from the knights, who don't even bother to bat an eye, and release them.

They both visibly relax, giving out a large sigh of relief. Their wrists are mangled and bloody, despite the cuffs only being on for a short amount of time.

"Oh, that was horrible," Merlin whispers, trembling as he stands. "Okay, here goes nothi--"

"I'll do it," Aimee says. "Uther can't know."

"But--"

"I will do it. I know the spell." She pushes Merlin back, grabs Arthur and pushes him against a pillar. "Ic þín sáwol hér beléac, abide þæt ic þé álíese," she mutters, over and over.