Chapter 4

Thinking about taking Morgana's advice, Arthur decides he needs to talk to Merlin. In private. Somewhere very private. Away from the castle, the people, the city, and especially his father. Somewhere they can just talk, and he can ask questions. He has so many questions.

Too many questions, which all feel too awkward to ask. Arthur's never really been able to talk about magic. The mere mention of it brings his father to near insanity. He doesn't think straight when sorcery is involved. He doesn't listen. He just acts.

Arthur has always felt that Uther's attitude towards magic was unjust, biased, and wrong. He'd always been too young and powerless to change Uther's mind. Trivial. Not worth listening to. Inexperienced. The list is endless.

Later that day, after being cooped up and trapped like a prisoner by his father, confined to only the castle, which, even in its size and splendor, got boring after a while, he decided he'd defy his father's requests. Uther had said he couldn't go out and train, or go for a ride. He had to rest. He had to get better. Although he was aching like mad, the hangover effect had worn off and he felt more himself.

He wanted to leave. He was going to leave. So, when night fell, and Merlin was about to leave his chamber to go to bed, Arthur suddenly stands up.

"Merlin," Arthur says, abruptly. "Come with me."

Arthur grabs him by the arm and drags his out of the castle, being very silent on the way.

"Sire, where are we go-- You're not well enough to--!" Merlin begins.

"Shut up, Merlin, and come with me," the prince repeats, firmly.

They reach the stables, and Arthur commands Merlin to ready the horses.

"It's night--"

"Shut up, Merlin," he says again. "Do what I say."

Sighing deeply, Merlin obeys, readying the horses.

"Do you need armour--"

"I'm fine like this."

"Do we need anything?"

"Can't you just... magic thinks when we're there?"

"That's not-- You can't just magic things into existence. I don't think." Merlin frowns, contemplating this. "Not that I know of," he concludes.

"Then what use are you," Arthur moans, jokingly, "if not to summon things at my will?"

Merlin snorts. "You know, you're taking this much better than I thought you would," he admits, quietly.

This makes Arthur beam, his blue eyes lighting up with joy. It gave him much more pleasure to hear that than expected. He tries to hide his idiotic smile under the cloak of darkness surrounding them.

"Come on, then," Arthur says, mounting his horse.

"Let me just get some things, okay? At least?"

Arthur nods, begrudgingly, yearning to go. Merlin scurries away, and comes back not too long later carrying some bags.

"Won't Uther kill you?" Merlin points out, placing the bags on the saddle and mounting his horse.

"I'm trying not to think about that," Arthur giggles.

"Right. That's smart. Works a treat 'til you next see him," he says in a joking tone, but Arthur can tell there's something more to it.

It makes him hurt, to see how much Merlin has suffered, hiding all this time, never getting any credit, and getting treated like less than what he is. That's always bothered Arthur, because he always knew Merlin was something more, even if he seemed like a clumsy idiot most of the time.