Chapter 18

Merlin's just about to leave the chambers when Arthur bursts into the room. He ushers the servant out, telling him they'll be there shortly. Merlin gives the prince a questioning look.

"We're leaving," he says, commandingly. "Now."

"But... Arthur, the kin--"

"There's no point," Arthur grunts. "He's not going to change his mind. I've tried multiple times. He just-- he just won't. Let's go."

"Arthur, no," Merlin replies, stubbornly. "I'm not running."

"He's going to kill you! Well, he's going to try."

Merlin raises an eyebrow.

"You think I'd let him kill you?" his prince scoffs. He lowers his voice, to nothing more than a tiny whisper. "I'd rather die."

"I'm not leaving Camelot."

"No. You're not. We are."

Merlin stops, dead still. "Wha-- No! No, no, no. You-- You can't leave! You're the crown prince, you... you have things to do and a kingdom--"

"It's not mine."

"Yet. It will be. Then things will change."

"Pack your things."

"We aren't leaving!"

"Mer--"

"I said no, Arthur," Merlin says in a deep, dangerous voice. Arthur seems a little taken aback and... something else Merlin can't quite put his finger on. Is he... No, he can't be. Merlin brushes away the thought. He keeps remembering Arthur's arms around him, strong and possessive and protective. His mouth, so soft and-- No. No. he has to stop thinking about this.

Arthur is red all over his face, and stares at Merlin in disbelief. Even when the moment has passed long into something more, he doesn't look away. His eyes shimmer like the deep water when the sun makes it sparkle, more magical than anything Merlin has ever seen.

"There'll be another way," Merlin assures him.

Arthur snaps his gaze from Merlin, abashed and pulling at his collar as if hot. "I just... It seemed safest. It still does. Merlin, I can't let you die--"

"I won't."

Arthur doesn't look convinced. "I can't persuade him. No one can. He's convinced I'm enchanted or something! By you!"

Merlin's heart jolts. "You... don't believe that, do you?"

"Of course not!" Arthur scoffs. "Why would I?"

Because you kissed me. Clearly something is wrong, he doesn't say. He merely shrugs awkwardly warranting a small, cute yet hidden smile from the prince. Not his. Not his. Not his. It's strange how much those words sound like taunting...

***

When Merlin finally convinces (maybe threatens... depends on how you see it) Arthur they shouldn't run, they head to the throne room.

"So, what are we telling him?" Merlin asks on their way, insanely nervous, because one mistake, and he's done for. Well, he's most likely done for anyway, but...

The servant is quite a few paces ahead, so they speak as quietly as possible so as to not be overheard. They also stand close enough that they feel each other's warmth and breath and are only centimetres away from touching, and it's almost painful for them not to give in. But they don't. Because they can't, can they?

"I've told him you were possessed, which is true. I said you weren't in your right mind, and it wasn't you who tried to kill me. Also true. I said you didn't have magic, Sigan did, and he used your body to use it against me. Partly true."