"Jalal, are you fine?"

"Huh, kya?" Abdul's words entered his thoughts as if through a fog, and he sat up. Looking at Abdul, he had his emotions back under control, his expression blank.

"Are you fine, Jalal?"

"Fine? You know me like no one else! Don't ask me if I'm fine. You know the answer!" he replied bitterly.

Abdul lowered his head. "Forgive me, Jahanpanah!"

"Stop it, Abdul! I don't like it when you address me by my title!" Jalal burst out. "We need to figure out how to proceed. First, Munim Khan must be relieved of his post as vazir-e-ala. He has proved to be a pawn in the hands of Maham Anga. I think we will let some time pass to lull the conspirators into safety. Then we will have to think about ..."

"Gusthaki maaf Jahanpanah!" A guard entered Jalal's chamber and bowed. "A messenger from Ahmadabad has arrived and urgently requests to be allowed to come forward."

"From Ahmadabad? Let him enter! What brings you here, messenger? Do you bring news from the Khan-e Kahna's ladies?"

"Shahenshah ik buland ho!" With his head bowed, the messenger delivered the news of the death of Bairam Khan's first wife. She had succumbed to the severe injuries she had sustained while fleeing from the Afghans. Salima Sultan was on her way to Agra with Bairam Khan's son and some trustworthy followers, as Jalal had ordered.

"You may go!" With a wave of his hand, he sent the messenger away.

"So she succumbed to her injuries. God have mercy on her soul. Khan Baba's assassins have done a good job." he said bitterly. "It is good when Salima Sultan and Rahim are in Agra. This way they will be safe from assaults. May Allah protect their path."

"What are you going to do now, Jalal?"

"The events in Sarangpur and the intrigues here in Agra have shown me that I cannot rely on even my closest confidants! Why? Why? Badi ammi, her concern is more for her son Adham than for her responsibilities to her position. I have relied on Munim Khan as a capable minister who can responsibly manage the affairs of state. Instead, he has allowed himself to be blinded by Maham Anga and her quest for power. He gave her a free hand and become involved in her intrigues, making common cause with her. He has neglected the administration and filled ministerial posts with weak followers of her. Much is therefore in a sorry state. Behind my back, they have dared to declare my offer of an alliance to Amer null and void on their own authority. What an insult to Raja Bharmal and Amer! And also to me! With their behavior, they have dragged my integrity through the mud. How dare they! And Adham ...! Through his mother's intercession, I have renounced his punishment. His actions at Malwa were unforgivable." He gritted his teeth. "I need to think Abdul! Please go!"

_____________________________________________________________

Amer

Sharif-ud-Din was completely absorbed by the careful planning of his strategy to capture Amer and prepared his soldiers for an early departure. He sent out various units of troops and had them set up camp on the Amer border. From there they moved along the borders, harassing the villages with demands for money and pillaging. They penetrated further and further into the country and they did not spare even the temples. The population lived in constant fear of the next attack. They drew their circles ever closer to the town limits of Amer. In the palace, Bharmal and Bhagwant Das watched the events with concern. Individual representatives of the villages had already come to the palace and asked for help against Sharif-ud-Din's soldiers. Small skirmishes were fought to drive them back. But they were breathing down Amer's neck. When one attack was repulsed, the next one began elsewhere. So far it was only small skirmishes, but it was a constant and insidious threat. Bharmal knew they could not withstand a major attack. He judged the attacks to be an effect of what has happened in Agra. Jalal-ud-din Muhammad had his fingers out for Rajputana! Bharmal hoped of the meeting with the other Rajput rulers.