Chapter 37

The beeping of machines filled the silence as the team waited patiently in the hall. Bucky sat in the room watching over Amelia, looking for any signs of movement, anything to show she was coming out of the induced coma. Bucky rested his heavy elbows on his knees, his head in his hands, moving them through his newly short hair.

A different buzzing noise came from one of Amelia's machines, causing a nurse to come in to the room. "What is that? What's happening?" Bucky stood up and rushed to Amelia's side, worried something bad was happening.

"Relax Mr. Barnes, it's just time to change her drip." The nurse spoke in a soft manner, hanging up a new bag and re connecting it. Bucky played with the seams of his leather glove on his hand. The nurse noticed and pulled him to one side. "This happens sometimes, but it'll just take her a little time to wake up is all."

Bucky didn't respond, his eyes didn't leave Amelia's body. Seeing her bruised and bandaged broke his heart, feeling guilty that it happened because of him.

"Go home Mr. Barnes, have a shower, get something to eat. If she wakes up when you're gone we'll call you. Besides, all your friends are outside anyway." The nurse gently patted the side of his shoulder.

Bucky let out a large sigh, "yeah, you're probably right." He grabbed Amelia's fragile and limp hand, going over her shallow knuckles with his thumb. He lifted it up to his mouth and placed a gentle kiss on her skin, hoping that somehow she would know he was there. "Come back to me, my love." He whispered to her, still convinced of the worst. He waited a minute before slowly getting up and leaving the room, but not before looking back at her.

Steve and Natasha walked in to the room as the nurse left, keeping an eye on Amelia in case anything happened. "You know he blames himself." Steve stated as Nat sat next to him.

"I can't say I'm surprised." She raised an eyebrow as her eyes scanned the state of Amelia's body. Tubes and wires attached to her, stitches and bandages covering most of her exposed skin. "If you had got rid of that book in the first place then none of this would have happened." She crossed her arms.

"We thought we were doing the right thing." Steve's head leaned back and hit the wall behind him.

"Well you thought wrong. Separately you two are actually smart, but put you two together and there isn't a brain cell between you." Nat chuckled lightly as she rested a comforting hand on Steve's leg.

Amelia's machines began to beep rapidly as the lights flashed red. She gasped as she instantly shot up in her bed. She began hyperventilating and trying to rip out her IV lines.

"Hey, Amelia stop! Calm down, you're safe!" Steve tried to stop her as Natasha called for the nurse. All Amelia could think about was trying to escape, not realising that she was safe in the hospital. Her vision was limited from just waking up, so from her perspective she was still being held by Rebekah and Murphy. "Amelia stop it! Keep your mask on." Steve tried to help her out the oxygen mask on however she kept fighting it. The nurse had to act quickly to inject her with a sedative as she had pulled her IV out. With in a few seconds she had calmed down and gone back to sleep.

Steve looked at the nurse for answers but she quickly left the room to get someone. "Steve you're bleeding." Steve looked down at his arm to see that Amelia had scratched him as she was trying to fight.

"Don't worry I'm fine, just a couple of scratches is all." She smiled at Nat before bringing her close and giving her a gentle kiss on the forehead, Nat wrapped her arm around his back as the pair looked over Amelia, who was now sound asleep again.

The nurse came back in and brought some other nurses in white uniforms who had restraints in their hands. Steve walked over to one of them and grabbed their hand, "what are you doing with those?" He questioned.