That was it. She didn't say anything more.

"How is your family?" I asked abruptly.

"Fine," she answered tightly.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

Cue a very awkward silence that lasted for ages.

I kicked myself internally and focused on my work.

"It seems you're in the mood to talk," Adejare eventually said.

"Kind of," I admitted.

This might sound crazy, but your voice is quite addictive.

"Oya na," she prompted me.

"You ehn," I chuckled.

"Me? What did I do?" She responded, laughter in her voice.

She had the prettiest laugh as well, soft and light, with just the right amount of energy.

"Guy, remember when we were in JSS?" I asked.

"How can I forget?"

"You and your clique of besties that have been together since Day One," I said, looking up briefly.

A smile was spread across her face as she stared down at the counter top.

"Actually, it's Chetachi I've been friends with the longest. We met at a competition when we were in Primary School and clicked immediately."

"Awwn," I coo'd and she hissed playfully.

"I was surprised when I came in JSS1 and Cheta was here, but it was a good kind of surprise. Our friendship has just grown and deepened over the years. She's like a sister."

There was a light in her eyes as she spoke and I was hypnotised.

"And Beryl?" I managed to ask.

Adejare laughed. "She literally ran up to me and went 'Hi, I'm Beryl. You're pretty and you're my friend now!'"

I laughed as well.

"She also made friends with Cheta and the three of us have just been inseparable till now," she finished. "How about you?"

"It was around the time that the whole school was madding over Phineas," I said with a laugh.

In Junior school, Phineas was a bit of a Hillsong star for his biraciality, and when that bout of fame faded away, he reclaimed it back for being a beast in sports.

"Oh yeah, I remember that. All the Seniors back then wanted him as their school son. And those mumu JSS2 girls would always come to our block to talk to him," she responded with a snort.

"All dem Alicia and Eyo," I mused. "So anyway, I always seemed to find myself around Phineas and Majid, 'cos they were already a bit close and then one day we ate lunch together and just bonded. Ola joined us in 3rd term of JSS1 and then Archie in JSS2."

"I was sooo shy in Junior school," Adejare said, shaking her head. "I swear I didn't talk to anyone apart for Cheta, Beryl and Jasper."