Chapter 35

After leaving the odd random witch building, we headed straight to the college. Melody has caught me up on a few things. For one, ever since the end of the finals match, everyone gathered into the gym to party. Which is where we are heading.

Second detail, Axel won.

Melody says she thinks Brandon was ready to give up his winning streak and hand the title off to someone new. However, he didn't go down without a good fight. Chancellor Niam says it was one of the best fights. Fire against fire. Wings vs horns. One hell of a fight.

Outside of the gym doors I hear the turned down music, the cheers and Axel, who is giving a speech. "How many times are you guys going to make me come up here?" He laughs. I may not see him yet, but hearing his voice makes me smile and gives me chills in the best way possible. "I just want you guys to have some fun tonight!" Melody probably has no idea how happy I am to be back here.

As he continues his speech, Melody grabs my shoulder. "You ready?"

My heartbeat is running a mile a minute. My hands are shaking at my side and my tail is stiff with nerves. Does Brandon even want to see me anymore? What will happen between us now? I'm sick to my stomach with these thoughts.

"Give me a minute..." I ask her. She nods and goes into the gym first. I get a small glance inside. Axel and Brandon are on the stage. Seeing him again heightens my nervousness more. How do I approach him? How do I go about this situation in general?

A microphone pops with bitter static in the room. "I'd like to say some things." Brandon's amazing voice speaks through the microphone and I get chills once again. "You deserve this for sure, Axel. There isn't anyone else I'd like to hand my title down to." He starts and I decide this is the time to enter the room. Now or never, I guess.

I pull the doors open just enough for me to squeeze through and sneak in. Colorful lights zoom all around the room, highlighting the crowd in the center and occasionally blinds me. The music is soft, playing in the background as the boys speak. I don't want to join the crowd. I'd rather stay away from loud, sweaty people. Since the crowd is mainly taking over the center of the room, I decide to stand to the right of the crowd. I'm far enough away to feel comfortable but close enough to the stage that I get a decent view of the boys.

Brandon and Axel are both beat up. Axel has a few burn marks on his arms and a soon to be black eye. Brandon looks like he had a recent bloody nose and has three long scratches on his shoulder.

"I'm sure it has come as quite a shock for some of you that I have decided to resign from fighting but someone very important to me once made me realize that doing what everyone wants you to do isn't always going to make you happy. That I should do what I want to do. Whatever will make me truly happy. With that being said, I think I am ready to move on and figure out my life. I wish that someone could be here now and know I am listening to their advice. She changed my life." Butterflies swarm my stomach and coldness creeps down my back.

I remember that day in the woods for that project. The day we truly got to know each other. The day I concluded he wasn't some mischievous demon that Melody made him out to be. We had a really deep conversation that night. I never realized how much of an impact that it would have had on him.

I spot Melody on the other side of the stage, rushing up the steps. She steals the microphone from Axel. "Brandon, I think you should look over there."

I become shy when Melody points at me and Brandon spots me. A bright spotlight finds its way over to me. Now everyone is looking at me, but I only pay attention to Brandon. I give a small wave, wiggling my fingers.

Our eyes connect for the first time in what has felt like years and his face goes from sad to shocked to overwhelmed with bliss. Brandon drops his microphone and takes no time to rush over. For a second, it almost seems like he isn't going to stop in time, but then he does. Out of breath, he spits out questions he can barely finish, "How are you-? What are you doing here?" He eyeballs the room as if afraid we will get in trouble.