Chapter 19

Brandon is up on his feet pretty quickly, "Mother," He states trying to keep his cool, "I told you Harmony and I are no longer friends." His voice has gone low and filled with rage. A small amount of smoke rises from under his palms.

"Brandon!" Mrs. Terrion says defensively, "That is very rude to say in front of our guest. Where are your manners? Besides, you two can use this time to... fix whatever happened. Don't you agree?"

Brandon looks at his father for help. He turns to his wife and tries to speak, but she puts her hand in his face. I can feel the temperature rise in the room.

While all of this is happening, Harmony stares at me. Her eyes burn into my skin. I look away, refusing to make eye contact. She's waiting for me to give some sort of reaction, but I won't give in. Harmony has done everything to get under my skin and now seeing her here, per Mrs. Terrions' request, has brought me to that point. The room has become tense and I feel like I am suffocating.

I push my chair back slowly, then stand. "Would you excuse me, please? Where is the bathroom?" I ask Mr. Terrion, since he is the only one paying attention to me.

Mr. Terrion doesn't look too happy either. He's not angry, but confused and upset. He has a sympathetic look when he speaks to me. Maybe Mr. Terrion had no idea about Harmony's arrival. "Straight down the hall behind you. Second to last door on the right."

I nod and get out of the room as quickly as possible. As soon as I do, the yelling starts. It's between Brandon and his mother. I pick up my pace and shove myself through the bathroom door. I'm quick to lock it and then I sit down on the toilet.

Their raised voices are almost unbearable. I quickly text Melody, asking if she is available, while trying to ignore the commotion. It takes a little longer for her to answer, but at least she does.

Sorry, Can't talk right now. Maybe later. Is everything okay?

I type back: It's okay.

There is only one other person I can think of and she would for sure answer. I dial her number and listen to the ringing. I turn the volume down since I have to have it on speaker. After a few rings, she answers. "Hello?"

"Hey Pois... can we talk?" I bounce my leg up and down while constantly checking the door.

"Are you okay? I hear yelling." I hear her rustling around as she asks.

"Yeah.. about that..." I go into a big spew on what is going on. Pois knows about the Harmony and Brandon situation before we even met. Pois isn't too fond of Harmony either.

After telling her everything, she says, "So Harmony is there to ruin everything and Brandon's mother is probably in on the plan."

I won't say the thought didn't cross my mind. Mrs. Terrion has already proven she has no interest in getting to know me, let alone let me date her son. If she knows Harmony... she probably sees her as his 'perfect match'. "I don't know..." I mumble back.

I've made sure to keep my voice down, just in case. I may be the only one with heightened hearing, but I don't want to take any chances of someone hearing the things I am saying.

Pois sighs, "That sucks. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel right now. Stand your ground, girl. Brandon chose you, don't forget that." Pois and I have a growing friendship. I'm glad I know that I can turn to her if I ever need someone to talk to.

"You're right..." Just as I say it, someone bangs on the bathroom door.

"Rei? It's me."

Panic rises in my chest. Even though it's Brandon, I can't help but feel a little jumpy. "I got to go, Pois. Thank you for talking to me!" I hang up the phone before I can hear her reply. I stand up to get the door, but first I glance at the mirror above the sink. I look fine... just a little pale.