Chapter 29

I slowly turn back around because I have to. The spotlight is on me. Everyone can see me. Even Chancellor Niam looks shocked. Axel and Melody are staring in disbelief. No one knows what is going on. I don't even know what is going on!

"Alright..." Niam says uneasily, "Why don't you come join us, Reighlynn?"

All eyes are on me as I embarrassingly make my way to the front. I hold my purse tight in front of me and keep my head down. At the stairs, Brandon holds out his hand. I want to reject him, swat his hand away, but everyone is watching. I am forced to take his hand and let him help me.

This is humiliating. I have to stand next to my ex in front of almost the entire college body. There's at least an inch between us. We look nothing like the adorable couple that Melody and Axel are.

"Well then students, let the dance begin and enjoy the rest of your night!" Chancellor Niam excuses himself and a slow song starts up again. Everyone on the floor grabs a partner and starts dancing. Which leaves us up on this stage to dance.

Brandon grabs my hand and forces me to dance with him. "What are you doing?" I mumble angrily.

"I wanted to talk to you." He replies, pulling my hands so they are around his neck. I hate the feeling of his warm hands on my hips. I hate how my heart skips a beat every time I look at him. Brandon always knows how to dress up nice for occasions like this. He and I haven't been this close since the breakup.

I've wanted to talk to him for days, but then I remember how he left me in the pouring rain. The pieces of my heart at my feet.

"Of all places, this is how you wanted to talk to me!" I keep my voice low, but I am aggravated. "Anywhere but here, I would have talked to you."

Brandon doesn't believe me. "Are you sure about that?" I look to the side instead. I catch a glance of Melody and Axel. They look so happy. Melody is leaning her head on Axel's shoulder. Then they slowly dance to the music. "There's been a lot of things I have wanted to say to you. I know you too well Rei, you'd avoid me. This was my only shot."

"So if you didn't want to talk to me, I wouldn't have been the girl you picked. Of course." My attitude slips from my mouth before I can stop it. My heart and my brain are in an argument. One wants to fall in love all over again and the other wants to "accidentally" step on his toes with my heels until they bleed.

"Rei it's not-" He takes a deep breath, "I'm sorry. I've been meaning to tell you that since the day I walked away from you."

I give him my best sarcastic wow facial expression. Sorry? That's what he needed to tell me, as if the one word will bandage the pieces of my heart back together. I feel guilty for being so sour, but I am just a mix of different emotions.

He ignores my reaction. "Then I saw you tonight and how all these guys wanted you. You've been dancing with friends and I wanted you to be dancing with me." Brandon rotates, pulling me with him so we can slowly turn. He grabs one of my hands from his neck and spins me around. If he spins me too much, I might just vomit up all the drinks I have had.

After the spin, I adjust my top. Without straps, I am always worried that the dress will fall, even though I highly doubt it's ever happened. "Those boys just want to be seen dancing with a pretty lady. They don't like me for anything else other than my looks."

"But not me." Brandon pulls me into his chest. There is an inch between us, and his hot breath hits the tip of my nose. He's looking at my lips and thinking the same thing that I am.

"Brandon... I can't. We are not together anymore, remember?" He is so tempting, being this close. I want to but later on when we go back to being exes, my heart will just shatter once again.