Refusal

AN: Hey everybody. I was not planning to update so fast, but then this chapter is very small. The next one will be bigger and will have lots of darcabeth, I promise. So, enjoy:

"I am asking you to marry me, lovely Elizabeth."

Fitzwilliam Darcy was not a vulnerable man. Though he had sometimes experienced emotional turmoils, he had never let fear course through him. Never in his life did he find his firm stand waver and give way to fear.

But now, as he stood at the door hearing the conversation, more of a monologue, going on inside, he felt nowhere near brave. His legs moved on their own accord disregarding his brain's commands and he barged in without waiting to be announced, his friends close behind.

Georgiana had been very keen to get the details of the ball from her dedicated informer and best friend Lydia. Her enthusiasm, along with Bingley's wish to see Jane and Richard's interest in not spending time with Caroline had brought William to Netherfield. Secretly, he was also excited to go too, but couldn't comprehend the reason.

The scene before him was such-

The whole Bennet family except Lizzy and Jane, along with a gentleman and two ladies stood with their mouths hanging open. And right in the middle of the room, along with a shocked Jane and yet another lady stood Lizzy, with Mr. Collins kneeling before her.

The impact of the situation fell on him hard. Collins' words replayed in his mind,

"I am asking you to marry me, lovely Elizabeth."

Lizzy's face was expressionless, and it worried him.Was she going to accept him? Oh dear, will she?

Why he cared about it, he didn't know, but he brushed those thoughts aside. Lots of time later on to decide my feelings, he thought. So much full of thoughts was he that before he could stop himself, he blurted out,

"No."

It wasn't a loud "No", not even an exasperated one. Just a soft, simple, negligible "No" which brought the attention of all present on him. Uh-oh.

Mr. Collins, still kneeling, looked at him and said,

"Excuse me, sir?"

Oh, good. Now comes the part where I get totally embarrassed.

"Well-" he started slowly.

He didn't have to say more than that, because someone interrupted him. And his saviour was Elizabeth Bennet.

Addressing Collins, though looking at William and trying hard not to smile, she said,

"Mr. Collins, I am honoured that you considered me worthy of this position." Though her voice dripped sarcasm, Collins beamed at that and Darcy turned red with anticipation.

"And therefore it saddens me a great deal to tell you that I have to decline your offer."

One gasp and many sighs were heard throughout the room at this.

Mr. Collins let out a nervous laugh. He said,

"Elizabeth, to be sure I greatly adore and appreciate your wit. And I am also aware that young women often tend to decline offers which they secretly wish to accept. But do be serious, my dear."

At this, Lizzy's cool demeanour turned into an indignant one.

"Mr. Collins, I am not one of those women who would trifle with a gentleman's feelings. And I request you to desist from calling me by my given name, as I have not permitted you to do so."

"Come now Eli- Miss Bennet. You know that a marriage to me would be very advantageous for you as it would bind Longbourn to your family forever. I understand if you need more time to think."

"Mr. Collins, Lizzy has given you her answer and is very firm about it. More time will not change her thoughts. So I request you to stop forcing her."

I know that most of you must be imagining William say that, but no, it was Mr. Bennet.

Mr. Bennet's firm voice made Mr. Collins stand up, and say,

"I know why you are rejecting me, Miss Bennet. It is because of Mr. John Simmons, isn't it? I saw you both in the balcony during the ball. I am sure he would've proposed if I had not interrupted. Very well then."

Saying so, he exited the room huffing. Another round of relieved sighs could be heard and all started talking at once. All meaning Mrs. Bennet, Lady Lucas and the three youngest Bennet sisters.

"Lizzy, did Mr. Simmons propose?" asked Mrs. Bennet, curious and excited.

"No mama. I would have definitely told you if he had."

"He had better propose the next time you meet." she muttered, very loud.

Lydia and Kitty were laughing at Mr. Collins' expression when he had been told off by Mr. Bennet when Lydia suddenly spotted Georgiana.

"Well, Georgie! Did you see all that fun? I hope you saw his face!"

Georgiana answered that she had and then Mr. Bennet realised that he had not introduced the guests.

He did the introductions, and then retired to his study with Sir William.

Mrs. Bennet and Lady Lucas, who wanted to talk about the latest incident, went off somewhere with Maria trailing along. Mary escaped to the library and Lydia and Georgiana went to some other corner to continue their very important gossips.

This left Lizzy, Jane, Charlotte, Kitty and the gentlemen from Pemberly standing in the room awkwardly.

"Lizzy, you have a lot to explain. I didn't know that you have two suitors here. Who is this Mr. Simmons?" Charlotte said with mock indignance.

"Well Miss Lucas, you will be very much surprised to know that Lizzy is the beauty of the country and Mr. Simmons is just another gentleman besotted with her." Richard said, winking at Lizzy.

"So Lizzy, you have lots and lots to explain."

"Later Charlotte, later. I find myself in a great need for fresh air. I am going for a walk outside. Would any of you like to accompany me?"

"I will come with you." said Jane, Charlotte, Richard and William together. They looked at each other and started laughing.

"I will also be glad to accompany." said Bingley, looking only at Jane, who blushed sweetly.

Kitty decided to stay back and so the six young people set off for their walk.

Jane and Bingley walked off together, Jane leading him to some fountain he was very excited to see,apparently.

Richard found Charlotte a very interesting person and they started walking together in the front, sharing opinions about various subjects and leaving two blushing people behind.

Lizzy and Darcy walked in uncomfortable silence. They both couldn't seem to find any topic to discuss. Lizzy was just about to increase her pace and talk with Charlotte, when she stopped in her tracks suddenly. Reason? William spoke. What did he say?

"Are you in love with John?"

AN: I hope you all liked the chapter. Do comment and tell me how it was. Love ya guys. Bye.