The Dinner

"Hill!"screeched Mrs. Bennet. "Come and do Miss Kitty's hair. And then, Jane's. Forget Lizzy. She is capable of doing it herself. Oh, Kitty! You look so beautiful! Mr. Bingley will not be able to keep his eyes off you!"

Kitty blushed at the praise. It was not everyday that her mother paid her such special attention.

The whole Bennet family had been invited to Pemberly for dinner. Mrs. Bennet was very excited on meeting the gentleman and his so called social sisters.

At Pemberly-

"So, Darcy. Tell me. Shall I believe what Richard is telling? Are the Bennet sisters really a sight to behold? Are they that beautiful? "

"You will see for yourself today, Bingley. I fear that my reply would be considered biased, for they are all like sisters to me." William replied earnestly.

"All of them, William?" Richard asked teasingly.

"Fine. Not all. All of them are like my sisters except that Miss Bennet." William's face twisted into a frown just at the thought of Lizzy.

"I believe you ought to be more specific. There are five Misses Bennet, if I am not wrong?" said Bingley.

"I am talking about Elizabeth Bennet. Happy, Rich?" And seeing Bingley's confused expression, "Richard tries his level best to make me say her name."

"Now you are confusing Bingley all the more. See Bingley, Darcy here hates Lizzy, who is my best friend, by the way, and speaking her name is a crime, according to him. Don't worry, dear sir, for the feeling is mutual."

They were interrupted by the arrival of the Bennets and their other neighbours, the Simmons.

The Bingleys were introduced. Charles Bingley and the Bingley sisters' gowns were liked by all. The sisters themselves, well, not so much. Their pompous attitude did not recommend them at all. Lizzy actually decided to put them to a test to check how vain they were. She first tried testing the younger one, Caroline Bingley and found the perfect opportunity to do so during dinner as the woman herself sat beside her.

"Well, what an excellent gown you own, Miss Bingley! I believe orange is the new fashion in London?" she started off.

" Oh yes. And the colour favours me too. You should also try it, Miss Bennet." and pretending to think she said," Oh, but I do not believe that such splendour will be available in such a country! Its a pity Miss Bennet. Had your father taken you and your sisters to the Town more, you would know more about the latest fashions."

Caroline looked triumphant for a few moments, before she realised that she had jabbed not only at the Bennets, but also the Darcys.

She then rectified her statement and said," But then Lady Anne here keeps herself with the fashion. Look at Georgia too! Such people of fashion! You should ask them, Miss Bennet. I'm sure they will help you."

Saved, thought Caroline, glancing at William. She had come to Pemberly for a reason. She had to make William fall in love with her. That Elizabeth Bennet! She had done it purposely. Caroline made up her mind to hate her.

Similarly, Lizzy's mind was whirring. As Caroline spoke, she had realised her plans for Darcy. She did not know why, but that unsettled her.

She was pulled out of her thoughts by Jane's musical laughter. She looked around to see Jane and Mr. Bingley laughing together. Jane's eyes had a sparkle. Jane liked him.

He was a handsome and an amiable man. He was always full of smiles and seemed unassuming. He would be good for my angelic sister, thought Lizzy.

Her thoughts were yet again interrupted, this time by Mr. John Simmons, the eldest of the Simmons. He was a handsome man of seven and twenty and had always had a soft spot for Lizzy. Coincidentally, he was sitting next to her, though Lizzy suspected it to be Lady Anne's doing.

"You seem to be in the middle of a deep contemplation, Miss Bennet. May I say that you look absolutely wonderful tonight!"

" I thank you, Mr. Simmons. Your family and you seem to be in good health too." said Lizzy. John was a jolly man and Lizzy did not mind being in his company, though he was always agreeing to whatever she said.

"Pray tell Miss Bennet, did my good mother tell you about the ball we are holding at Stanfield? No? Well, we are, and let me take this opportunity to invite you and to request your hand for the first set."

"I would be happy to accept, sir. When is the ball?"

"If possible, I would hold the ball tonight, if only to dance with you, Miss Elizabeth. But unfortunately, it is not possible, and so, the ball is on the coming Tuesday." said John, in his attempt to be charming.

Lizzy did not like Mr. Simmons openly flirting with her, but she was unable to find an excuse to draw herself out of the ongoing conversation. She was saved astonishingly by William, who was seated beside John and who had suddenly struck up a conversation with him.

Saved by that Darcy, thought Lizzy. But she didn't need any help from him. Just as Darcy had smoothly interrupted her conversation with John, Lizzy decided to do the same to him.

"Yes John. I surely-" William was unceremoniously stopped by Lizzy saying," Mr. Simmons! Where were we? Yes, I remember. We were talking of the ball. Pray tell me, how are the preparations coming on?"

And with that, John's attention was completely on Lizzy. He did not give William a second glance and droned on about the ball. Lizzy sent a smirk in William's direction, and pretended listening to John, nodding at all he said.

William was very annoyed. That woman always got under his skin. She was nothing but a conniving, sly, vain, beautiful- wait, beautiful? No, not beautiful. Definitely not beautiful. He decided not to give the matter a second thought.

That night, as William, Richard and Bingley sat in William's study, Richard commented, "You seemed quite taken with the eldest Miss Bennet, eh Bingley?"

"Oh yes. She is an angel, isn't she?"

William smirked,saying,"Richard would know. Mrs. Bennet has been trying to make him marry her for a long, long time."

"Is that so? Richard is to marry Miss Bennet?" said Bingley, dejected.

"Don't listen to what Darcy says. I do not have any intentions of marrying Miss Jane Bennet. She is all yours to adore."

The happiness on Bingley's face was evident as he bade the two goodnight. It was evident even when he went to bed. It was evident when he was asleep with a smile on his face, undoubtedly dreaming about his angel.

And there took birth, love.