(三十一)Thirty-one

The mansion that they have agreed to meet in its garden looked luxurious and magnificent during the day, but at night it looked inexplicably gloomy, there was something indefinitely eerie about it.

Lao Ding was smoking a cigarette on a bench in the garden, and Snake Si stood not far away. The warm light that reflected from the trees made the man's face look more angular.

He flicked the ashes of his cigarette to the ground, the late-night breeze carried a chill through it. It was freezing late at night and the long wait had stirred them up to the point of impatience.

It was Zhao Yunlan who made both of them gather here, but the young man was late in showing up, causing Lao Ding and Snake Si to shiver from the cold as they waited for a long time in the garden.

For the past couple of hours, while waiting, Lao Ding had smoked countless cigarettes. His daughter, Ding Yi Ke, whom he sent out on a mission to obstruct Shen Wei and prevent him from seeing his younger brother off, had sent him a message a few hours ago, reporting that she had done what he had asked for.

According to Zhao Yunlan, the ticket he had prepared for Ye Zun to leave the country had also been tampered with, so the flight would depart earlier. Either way, Shen Wei would not be able to show up on time for Ye Zun. What's more, Shen Wei is heading on his way to meet the informant arranged by him.

He broke the silence with a couple of muffled coughs, and Snake Si turned around and gave him a cold glance.

"What did Zhao Yunlan tell you?" Snake Si walked around impatiently and finally opened his mouth to ask, breaking the dull silence of the night.

Ding Dun inhaled deeply from his cigarette and puffed it out, threw the cigarette butt to the ground in annoyance and restrained himself from smashing it out with the tip of his shoe, "I heard that a professor in Dragon University recently contacted Dijun, wanting Dijun's head support to keep a particular research project. For this collaboration of some sort, I know for a fact that Zhao Yunlan is working for his father, but what Dijun's head wants exactly is still a puzzle, so I don't know exactly what's going on with Dijun's side, and it was only two days ago that Zhao Xin Ci had contacted me to get a general idea. I don't really care about all this, my only take to participating in this is to target the Shen family, especially Shen Wei. What about you? Do you have any other details?"

Snake Si frowned, he was extremely unhappy with what Ding Dun had just said, but since he considered the announcement coming from Dijun's side, he could only bear it with patience.

If there was anything else he was good at, it must be his ability to read people's minds, which he had learned over the years. Ding Dun was the head of the Ding family, but as a matter of fact, the man was a complete loser, and unfortunate. Ever since Ding Dun had taken over his family business and became in charge, the Ding family had only gotten weaker and weaker, gradually slipping from being one of the big strong families in Dargon City to being the servant of those strong families.

Snake Si smiled, he looked down at his watch and was just about to open his mouth to end this meeting when Zhao Yunlan finally showed up from around the corner. Zhao Yunlan walked to them, rubbed his head and smiled apologetically: "Sorry, sorry, the road was a bit congested, I dropped a little girl home halfway here, and that's why I came late. Sorry I didn't inform you all prior as it's not good to use the phone when driving, especially when you're a cop." He rubbed his hands together, glanced at Mr Ding, whose face was cold and pale, and said with great insight, "Yo, look at my carelessness. Mr Snake and Chief Ding are freezing. Let's go and talk inside."

Ding Dun stood up, and Snake Si stared at Zhao Yunlan for a moment before taking the lead and heading to the mansion.

"This time, I think we all have a general idea of what we are looking for when we come here. Dijun has an agreement with professor Ouyang from Dragon University. Dijun can guarantee that professor Ouyang's experiments are useful and will continue, and in exchange, he will deliver his experimental drugs to Dijun." Zhao Yunlan propped himself up on his knees, his eyes wavering from between Chief Ding and Snake Si, for no apparent reason, Snake Si's attitude towards him seemed to be full of indescribable hostility, as if he was taking advantage of something heavenly, or have done something bad to him.