eight

11:28 PM

" Can I get a gurney here? My sister is in labour" Aazhar yelled frantically as soon as he busted the emergency room door open.

The two nurses who had just sat down immediately sprang up and pressed a button under the nurse's station most probably to call for a gurney. One of them ran inside to inform the obstetrics ward while the other assisted the ward boy in bringing the gurney to the door.

And all this took place in less than a minute!

" Who's your doctor?" The nurse asked Abu Bakr as he laid down his whimpering wife on the gurney.

" Dr Rizwana" Abu Bakr informed, his face etched in concern seeing his wife in pain.

The nurse nodded at him before wheeling his wife inside the ward.

12:01 AM

Abu Bakr filled up all the details on the form with an unsteady hand, his nerves frazzled still. He looked at his family and gave his parents a small smile as they too looked at him in worry.

12:17 AM

" Dr Rizwana kaha hain?" Aafiya asked the nurse who had just come out from Zafiraa's room.

" Patient is only two centimetres dilated right now. There's still time before she gives birth" the nurse replied while checking the form that Abu Bakr had just finished.

" My daughter is fine right?" Ramsha voiced her worry.

The nurse gave her an assuring nod before going about her work.

12:20 AM

" How many hours before my wife is ready for the delivery?" Abu Bakr asked the same nurse as she sat down at her station.

" It could be atleast five to six hours before she's fully dilated" the nurse told him while she checked her records.

" You should ask your family to go back home and rest. There's no point in waiting here for that long" she advised him as she looked behind at the throng of anxious people pacing the small hallway.

Abu Bakr followed her line of vision and sighed seeing their parents' distressed faces, nodding in affirmation.

" Thank you" he said as a parting shot before walking upto his family.

12:57 AM

" Hum fajr ke baad foran hi yaha hoge Zafiraa. Tum hosla rakho" Aafiya assured her daughter-in-law who had just gained consciousness.

She had passed out due to the pain as soon as she was admitted and had no idea about her surroundings up until now.

" Jee Ammi" Zafiraa nodded her head at her mother-in-law who was now reciting some dua'a and blowing it over her periodically.

" Mujhe toh shayad hi neend aayegi par tumhaare Abbu thhak gaye hain" Ramsha told her daughter regretfully as she kissed her head.

" Aap aur Abbu ghar jaayein Ammi. Delivery mein abhi waqt hain aur aap sab ki khamakha hi hairaani hogi" Zafiraa reassured  her mother and smiled at her despite the pain.

She didn't want her old parents to spend the night on a hospital bench when it was absolutely okay for them to go back home and rest, especially when it was not required right now.

" Ammi ki Jaan" Ramsha hugged her emotionally and Zafiraa basked in her mother's love before doing the same with her mother-in-law.

01:10 AM

" Koi bhi changes hou toh aap mujhe call kardein Abu Bhai" Aazhar told his brother-in-law as he waited for their parents to sit in the car.

Shahbaaz and Saahil had already instructed him about the same before reluctantly agreeing to go back home.