four

" I had categorically warned you about the repercussions of another pregnancy right now, didn't I?"

" I'm sorry Doctor. It was that one time only and I had immediately brought her over for the morning after pill..."

" She may not have taken it then from the looks of it"

" Is it that bad?"

" There's internal scarring in her uterus now an the endometrial wall is starting to thicken. She may not be able to carry a baby full term in the future..."

There was a pregnant pause when the doctor said these words. A life changing pause threatening to alter their future all together!

" Is there anything we can do?"

" I'll..."

" Abu Bakr?" They heard a barely audible voice from the bed and immediately turned their attention to it.

Zafiraa had been drifting in and out of consciousness and she could hear the snippets of their conversation, not nearly enough for it to make total sense but she did catch some of it.

" Jaana?" Abu Bakr said gratefully, immediately rushing to her side and clasping her cold hands in his.

" Zafi" he breathed in a soft whisper, laying his head on her hands that he had so firmly clasped in his own.

Zafiraa felt her own tears starting to fall anew as she remembered why she was here.

In the hospital again.

Dr Rizwana sighed seeing the young couple, her heart going out to their plight. No parents should ever go through this even once in their lifetime and here they are, facing this loss a second time within a few months. She walked out of the room, deciding to give them privacy as she waited for her test results to come back. She had a niggling doubt in her mind and if that's right, then Zafiraa might have a long journey ahead of her before they conceive a child.

Aafiya and Ramsha were with their daughter the entire night and had just stepped out when Zafiraa gained consciousness. The two women were devastated seeing their children suffering so much in their young lives. They were thankful that Gulaisha and Saba had taken over their houses and their responsibilities, leaving them time to concentrate just on their children.

" Ammi, doctor ne mujhe cabin mein bulaya hain. Aap yaha Zafi ke paas baithey" Abu Bakr said in a hoarse voice, his eyes not leaving his wife's pale face for even a second.

She had been sedated again just so that her body recovers from all the trauma it went through.

Aafiya nodded her head and called him over before blowing on him whatever she was reciting and kissing his head in reassurance. She then walked and sat on the chair that he had emptied by Zafiraa's bedside, holding her cold hand in hers and continued reciting all the dua'a for her.

Taking one last look at his sleeping wife, Abu Bakr walked out the hospital room and towards the doctor's cabin. He was tired of seeing his wife in here, going through the same heartbreak again and again!

" Have a seat Mr Mir" Dr Rizwana told him gently when she saw him enter, thumbing through a stack of papers meanwhile.

Abu Bakr looked at her in trepidation, the tension in the room palpable. He gingerly sat down on a chair facing the doctor, his hands now sweaty in nervousness as he waited for her to speak something. He had so many questions, so many but right now he wanted the doctor to assure him. He needed to hear that.

" This is your second pregnancy loss within a few months Mr Mir..." She began, readjusting her spectacles on her nose as she looked at the young man in front of her.