five

" Allah! Safwaan kaha hain?" Zafiraa gasped dramatically, a giggle threatening to spill as she looked around the room.

She noticed the slight movement under the table and could even hear little laughs coming from underneath. Placing the plate of food on top, she bent down to see a small crouched figure hiding behind the gifts and bags.

" Abu Mamu se keh deti hoon ki Safi kahi kho gaya hain aur uske hisse ki icecream bhi hum Mustafaa ko dein dete hain" Zafiraa said loudly as if she hadn't spotted the little boy hiding underneath there.

" Nahi Mami! Musi Bhai ko nahi dein meri icecream" Safwaan crawled towards her launched his little body into her arms catching her by surprise.

" Arre! Safi aap kaha se aayein?" Zafiraa stifled a smile holding the boy close to her heart and getting up from the floor.

" Main yahi tha Mami aap hi mujhe dhoond nahi paayein" Safwaan laughed at having successfully fooled her as he snuggled up more in her arms.

" Achaa? Badmaash!" Zafiraa tickled his sides and the rambunctious boy burst out into giggles as he tried to resist her attacks.

" Mami icecream?" Safwaan remembered her threat from a few minutes ago and Zafiraa shook her head at him.

" Pehle aap khaana khaayein, uske baad icecream" she kissed his head and sat down on the chair that she had previously occupied.

" Aap Musi Bhai ko nahi dein meri icecream, theek hain?" he repeated pleadingly and Zafiraa melted seeing the innocence in his coffee brown eyes that he shared with his mother.

" Theek hain meri jaan" she smiled at the small trusting face, kissing his head in love.

She had always loved him like her own. Because had her baby survived, she would have been as old as Safwaan today. Just a tad bit older but of similar age nonetheless. The babies would have learnt to crawl together, walk together and speak together. Her daughter would have been Safwaan's Appi and she would have protected him like his older sister.

Her beautiful daughter would have made the best Appi for her Safi.

Zafiraa wiped the lone tear that had escaped her eyes and leaned down to kiss his baby head again as she spooned him the dal rice.

So what if her daughter is not here? Safwaan will still get his Appi's love from her mother!

" Who's that?" Zafiraa pointed at Gulaisha who was busy fussing over Yumna.

" Daadijaan" Safwaan smiled widely as he spotted his grandmother.

" She is" Zafiraa smiled at him and stealthily spooned him another morsel.

" And that?" She pointed at Aafiya and Safwaan giggled at his silly Mami.

" Naanijaan" he laughed, snuggling in her arms more comfortably.

Zafiraa giggled along with him, his smiles bringing out her own.

" That?" She pointed at a five year old boy carrying a small tray of sweets for the guests.

" Musi Bhai" Safwaan grinned, absentmindedly opening his mouth for the spoon as his fingers played with her dupatta.

" My baby's so smart" Zafiraa kissed his head yet again in pride.

The little man was just two years old but was very smart for his age!

" Aur woh?" Safwaan looked where she had pointed and smiled seeing his phupho.

" Mehtaab Phupho" he waved his hand at her and Mehtaab gave him a brilliant smile and sent a flying kiss his way.

Mustafa noticed his mother sending kisses for another baby and he stomped over to her, sitting down in her lap and holding her face as he told her something seriously. Mehtaab laughed at her son and his possessiveness that he shared with his father but nodded her head in agreement nonetheless. She smiled even more when her son just wrapped his arms around her and snuggled up in her arms.