27

Vote | Comment if you're enjoying ❤️

JOAN

"Hi, everyone." I smile at the eleven children in the room. It's an odd number, and everyone in here is odd, including me. I'm the alien adult in the room.

All the kids look at me with distrust in their eyes. It's a look I'm familiar with; a look I've often reflected.

"My name is Joan, and I'd like to tell you a story."

So I do. I tell them a kid-friendly version of being abducted from Earth, losing my hopes and dreams, and being introduced to a planet-full of people who hate me for not looking like them. I tell them about my odd jobs, my slips in ethics, my temptation to lose all my humanity.

With every chapter of my story that I share, I see a new set of starry eyes. The kids are melting into me, because I'm showing them that although I look peculiar, we're cut from the same cloth.

I'm sharing the most traumatic, intimate part of my life because I want to show them we've been through similar struggles and they can rely on me.

Lady Hope was right in putting this ragtag team of "freaks" together. We understand each other, and we thrive within one another.

I fight back tears as I look into the lost expressions of these boys and girls, dressed in old rags and lacking a bounce in their legs, a fidgetiness in their fingers. They're calm, as if life has already taken every spark from them.

It's my job — and an honor, to inspire them back into a position of confidence and curiosity.

"Does anyone have questions?" I ask at the end.

Eleven hands go up — although not all the way like human children do. I'm stunned to a silence, because in all my years on Zolan, no one has shown an interest in hearing me out.

That includes The General. He's interested in my present, but not much in my past.

Stop thinking about him. Since you're speaking of past, realize that he's in it. You will never see him again.

Although I'm nervous, I pick the little girl in the first row.

"Lady Joan, why did those mean people make you work without paying you?"

She's referring to my time as a slave before I was rescued by Zolan authorities.

"Because they define being a person based on how they look. Although we look a little different, we are all people. We deserve the same rights and respect as any Zolano. That's the very first thing we need to remember and never forget."

I forget that lessons sometimes, but I never had a teacher. I hope these kids can learn with more confidence.

After answering the questions, I play some games with them and distribute lunch. They're sweethearts, although most are still hesitant about getting attached. They've been hurt before, and trust doesn't come easily.

"Joan, there is a delivery for you!" someone calls from the kitchen.

I leave the kids with Hope's assistant and wipe my hands on my apron. The kitchen is empty, but there is a small container wrapped in silk waiting for me on the table. I know who it's from without opening it. It's not like The General or Yippy wouldn't mail me anything.

There's a temptation to dump the package, but that would be wasteful.

I open it and am immediately blinded by the bling of the necklace that's inside. It's shaped like a collar, and lined with green jewels. I'm not sure if the shape was intended, but the meaning is not lost on me.

Vrint wants a pet.

Disgusted, I set the heavy thing aside and look at the bottom of the package. There's cloth there— dark, dull, and mine. He mailed me back my panties.

I toss the package in the trash and clutch onto the collar. What do I do with it? Sell it and donate to money to the orphanage? Yeah. The kids need new toys.

Stuffing the thing in under my bed makes me feel dirty. The necklace is like a dead rat rotting away in my room.

I shudder and get back to work. My neck feels tight, as if I'm still wearing the necklace.

"Joan!"

I jump, startled. The sound of my own name is becoming haunting all because of Vrint.

"Yes?"

The young maid looks irritated. I can imagine why. She has to hunt me down every day because of Vrint's games.

"There's a man here to see you. His name is Vrint."

"Can you tell him I'm not available?"

The big bully just doesn't seem to get the idea.

She sighs. "Alright, but this is getting disruptive. You will have to deal with this, eventually."

I'm not leaving the orphanage. It doesn't feel safe to step a foot outside with Vrint on the prowl.

"Thank you," I say and watch her go.

I grip the sink and sigh. This was supposed to be a fresh new start, but I only went from one hole to another.

Hands engulf my hips, and I cry out in shock. I spin around and find myself pressed between the concrete sink and an angry Vrint. He's in his camp uniform. A dagger digs into my hip and something else digs into my lower belly.

I dig my nails into his biceps and try to push him off.

"Get off me. You have no right."

He squeezes my hips and lifts me a few inches off the ground. He smells like outside— like animal and the herb merchants that are located right outside the orphanage. It's nothing like War's scent. There's no hint of wet soil, or the thin sheen of sweat from a laborious day.

He doesn't feel like War, either. He's soft in places that War is hard. My strong General could fold Vrint in half enough times that he would disappear.

"Did you like your gifts? You should be more thankful if you kept them," he exhales by my ear, making my hair curl.

"Leuitenant Vrint, please release my employee."

Slowly, I'm placed on the ground. I subtly reach for a knife behind me and walk to Lady Hope's side.

"I think you should go, sir," Lady says.

"Yes. I'm sure you have more pressing business to get to," I say. I don't want my boss to fight my demons for me. I need to show some backbone or Vrint will never get the hint.

He doesn't look happy. I don't think he'll get the hint any time soon.

"Go to my office, Joan."