1. Moving On

This story has two protagonists, the situation being the antagonist.
 It is presented from alternating points of view,
changing back and forth with each chapter.
<><><>

"But I'm not ready."

"Grieving never stops, Alex. But there comes a time when one must move on – it's been three years, now." Doctor Kendall moved the stethoscope further down and tapped my chest again.

I sighed and nodded. "Yeah, three years last week."

"You're still fit and full of energy, but if you don't find a companion to slow you down again, you'll work yourself to death."

"It's not all work. I sail, climb, ski, travel."

"Yeah, but for the past three years, all solo. Just you and your memories of her, and that's neither safe nor healthy. I've known you for nearly twenty years, Alex, both as a friend and your doctor. You're not your former lighthearted self; you're on the verge of depression. And without sharing and companionship, you increasingly risk sinking into it."

"But getting into the dating game again?" I shook my head. "I'd compare everyone to Gillian. Never find anyone. What about getting another dog?"

"Even that would be an improvement, Alex. Slip your briefs off, up onto the examining table and onto your left side. Then draw your right knee up toward your chest."

I winced. "Hasn't recent research shown the ineffectiveness of this?"

"Opinions are still divided, and until there's consensus, the recommendation is to continue. Think of it as a confirmation of the lab results."

I sighed and complied, holding my breath until she had finished. Then as she snapped her gloves off and sanitised her hands, she said, "Prostate feels normal. Onto your back. Let me check for testicular cancer."

Rolling to my back, I watched her put on another pair of gloves, wondering why I've continued with Gillian's doctor. Not wanting to change anything that was hers, I suppose. Then I looked around the examining room, trying to find something to divert my mind. Anything. Please.

Her touch brought me from my thoughts, then her words, "Nature was very generous here, Alex. You need to find another woman to share this with. Not fair keeping it all to yourself." She giggled. "But joking aside, you need companionship for your mental and emotional health."

"Umm, yeah. Been a long time since I've –" Oh, God! Don't think about that. Not now! 

Damn, too late. "Sorry, Doc. The touch. The thoughts."

"Don't worry about it. A natural response, proving your system works. But more, it shows that you crave human touch – shows you're ready to move on from Gillian."

Resigned to the futility of stopping nature's course, I allowed myself to enjoy her manipulations while I pondered her words. By the time she began checking for penile cancer, I was well up.

She chuckled. "Yeah, very ready to move on, Alex."

"But I'm completely out of the loop. No idea where or how to search. Do you know any suitable women who are looking?"

"Most in my circle are like me – happily attached."

"As it is with us – with only me, now. Seems I'm the odd man out." I heaved a loud sigh. "Much easier for me to get another poodle."

"Possibly as a stopgap, Alex. A less fulfilling one. You need to find another woman."

"But how? Where?"

"Try the online dating sites. Some of them, like Tinder and Down, are mainly for quick hook-ups. But for long-term, look at Plenty of Fish or ship.us."