6. Whetting Appetites

Aha, there's the diversion from traditional banking that Melissa had mentioned. Pity that the waiter came before I got Xander to start his spiel. But I now have his full name – Alex Dunstrom – likely Alexander if he uses Xander. Dunstrom? Scandinavian?

No matter, now. I've got enough. I scanned the room, searching for Frank and our head of security – what was his name? Then I realised they wouldn't be in here. With an hour's wait for a table, they're still out in the bar. Or they left when they saw I was safe. Am I? Yeah, he seems ...

I paused my thinking to concentrate on what the waiter was saying, the wow factor redoubling with each dish. Oh, Dios mío! Like the cooking shows – but all filtered and the best put together. Here. For me to choose from. Oh, Dios mío! The ravioli like Rob Feeny's Iron Chef winner. Oh, Dios mío!

Xander's question brought me out of my culinary reverie and into a reality beyond my wildest imaginings. "I'd love some of each."

"A superb solution, Roxy. I was in a quandary, myself." Xander turned to the waiter. ''Have the kitchen serve us a tasting menu. Half plates of each."

"Yes, sir. Shall I send the sommelier?"

"No; rather, tell her to surprise us with glasses of her best matches for each plate."

"Always a pleasure serving you, sir."

I looked again into Xander's eyes. A dream – both him and this dinner. But he's evil. A predator. A very smooth one.

And so alluring. I sighed. So very alluring.

But that's his MO. I took another sip from my glass – even better now – and I watched him sip and savour his as I recalled Melissa's words. Don't get sucked in. Keep your eye on the goal. Don't let him seduce you. Force him to up the ante. Open the financial management window. Ask him to assist.

We remained silent, enjoying our wine, and with the tables so widely spaced, the only sound was the gentle murmur of voices in the background. And with the subdued lighting, not much to see beyond him and our table.

How do I do ask without lying? "Your financial background, Xander – could you help me with mine? I have trouble sorting out what is best?"

"I take only those with a net worth of twenty-five million and above. But even if you meet that, I'm now over-committed, and any more would dilute my attention to existing clients."

He paused to take another sip of wine, then he continued, "But above all, I don't take on people I know personally. Beyond arm's length and all that."

"Oh. What about them? Those like me?"

"The banks and the accounting firms, Deloitte, KPMG, and so on, provide excellent guidance – I could refer you to one of the accountants with whom I've worked."

Aha! There's the pass to a colleague that Melissa talked about. Keep his hands clean and let them set up the sting. No direct link and fictitious ID. The end of my contact with Xander.

My sinking feeling and quiet sigh belied my objectivity. Why can't he be honest?

The waiter's approach popped me out of my thoughts. As he set a plate in front of each of us, he said, "Some amuse-bouches to enhance the Champagne. Bon appétit."

When the waiter had left, I looked into Xander's eyes. "We can discuss this tomorrow – or later in the week. Let's focus on here and on enjoying dinner."