15. Of Arousal

Though both were superb, the red snapper and the See Ya Later chardonnay didn't sing the harmony that the previous courses had. The sommelier likely pushed the match to include all three gold medal winners.

I glanced again at Roxy's low-cut top to see if her nipples had found any magic in the pairing. None. Still only the hint that they're there – and so enticingly.

Mind out of there. I must look up the linkage – arousal from food. But they had been erect before she tongue-teased the foie gras and gave me the hungry-eye look – before she had tasted her first bite. So, the arousal had been from her sexual thoughts, not from the taste.

What had we been talking about leading up to that? I invited her sailing. She said she's excited to explore more of me. Aha! That would be it.

Whatever, she seems to be straightforward with her body and its responses. And as physiologist and psychologist, I'm sure she knows what's behind what and –

"This takes me back to my cruise up the coast, Xander. Rockfish were my staple. Lingcod, kelp greenling, snapper – whatever I jigged each day became my dinner."

"Hmmm. I've seldom a problem catching my limit of salmon while sailing, but I've not had any luck with rockfish in the anchorages."

"What do you use?"

"Same rig as for salmon, but without the lead ball and flasher. Also, a smaller hook, and I've tried so many baits – roe, herring, minnows, you name it."

She shook her head. "Ah, no wonder. The best results are not with bait, but with a lure to fool them. A stingsilda or suchlike on a length of codline – no rod, just a handline for a better feel. Lower it until the line goes slack, then lift it half a metre or so to be clear of the bottom and give a few jigs, wait a short while and repeat the jigs. If the bottom is rocky, it seldom takes more than a minute to catch dinner."

"And if it's not rocky?"

"Usually no luck." She chuckled. "That's why they're called rockfish. Take the dinghy to a place that is. The best spots are near rocky points, around reefs or at dropoffs. Anywhere the waves and swell give some turbulence, stirring food for the fish."

"Interesting. How have you learnt this?"

"Through trial and error, but initially, by doing what he did." Roxy winced, then with a shrug, she resumed eating.

Oh, drat. Her grieving is still strong. Probably more recent than mine. Best that I avoid leading her into it again. But she wandered there on her own – as I had done with anything remotely connected to Gillian. Yeah, and I still do. Just need to drop the topic when it moves there.

I gave her space, and we finished the fish course while I answered her questions about my climbing. A topic I felt was safe to introduce because she has no experience of it.

The venison chop with the Martin's Lane pinot noir was a far finer match, but still no arousal showing. Love to help her research this. But I need to ease into it – not the time to bring it up.

"You keep glancing at my breasts, Xander." Roxy grinned as she looked down. "Testing my theory, are you?"

"I – ummm. Yes, it seems I am. Intriguing theory. I'd love to assist with your investigation of it."

She chuckled. "It might not be fully objective if you're there. Other reasons for my arousal could distort results."

Oh, God! So suggestive.

While we finished our venison, she described some of the research and tests she had done on her theory – technically, a hypothesis, she explained, because it still needs more independent proof.

Then, when the table had been cleared, the waiter arrived. "The dessert special is soufflé aux mangues et fruits de la passion – mango and passionfruit soufflé. The sommelier suggests pairing it with the same chardonnay icewine you had with the foie gras."

"Oh, how wonderful." I turned to Roxy, delighted to see her eyes wide as she vigorously nodded. "Yes, let's do that."

The quarter-hour wait went quickly, Roxy and I rambling through reminiscences of our sailing adventures, sharing anecdotes and insights. My thoughts had turned to settling down with her when a serving trolley was wheeled to our table.

While the two waiters plated our soufflé, the sommelier poured the wine, and when they had all left, I raised my glass. "To us, Roxy. May all our hungers and desires be fulfilled."

"Ummm! You have such delightful turns of phrase, Xander. So enticing, so suggestive."

After we had toasted, Roxy took a bite of her soufflé followed by another sip. "Again, an oh-my-God combination, Xander."

"Indeed. Demonstrates the versatility of wines such as this. Great on their own, better with foie gras and better yet with a rich dessert. Shows their flexibility."

She looked down and giggled. "And the flexibility of this top. Wish I had been wired to an EEG."

"Yeah, I feel myself swelling, as well. Might be the superb match. Might be my response to watching the growing evidence of your arousal."

She nodded. "Thus, my need for uninvolved test subjects. Neutral, unbiased, objective."

Our easy banter continued while we enjoyed the superb dessert. Then when the bill came, she insisted on splitting it. So insistent, and after her pouty sad-face, I finally relented, knowing I can simply have the charge cancelled or reversed.

While the waiter processed our cards, I said, "Might be inappropriate to take you aboard Tastevin this evening, Roxy. We've had a lot of wine, and I want our first explorations to be fully sober and aware."

"Yeah. Wise. We've both waited this long, so another while will do no harm. Besides, it'll give us time and space to confirm our feelings."

"Great! I'll take you to the gate and point her out. Show you where we'll meet in the morning."