Chapter Twenty-Three: Halfway There To Creating The Next Batman

The Apprentice

           Central Park was about as peaceful as you'd think it would be. Meaning it wasn't peaceful whatsoever. Strangers bustled about, stomping over cracked cement and mist covered grass. Water droplets clung to my pant cuffs, and I had the urge to squirm as I walked into the night. Sirens and diesel fuel funk permeated the air.

The orb said she would be there... She had to be. I searched for her exhaustedly. There. Rose sat on a park bench as she watched the walking trail. It was well past my bedtime and yet people, bikes, and dogs pranced past her as if it were daytime. Time didn't exist there. New York City really was the city that never slept.

I didn't bother trying to hide my footsteps as I gently made my way over. She had always seemed larger than life when she was bickering with me, running after me, or kicking me to the ground and stealing from me. Now, hunkering down onto the park bench, Rose looked small and unsure of herself. She was in deep thought. I cautiously sat down next to her.

Rose glanced at me for a moment before going back to staring at the world around her. Her knuckles were white from the grip on the Scythe. I was shocked that no one had commented on such a big weapon in the middle of Central Park, but decided not to joke about it. We sat in silence for a long time.

          "I know you don't want to." Said Rose.

          "You're absolutely right. I don't. And I won't. Not without your permission." I didn't mention anything about killing her in the crowd of people. "But I want you to understand. If you don't go, someone else will. That's the way it works. It can't be changed. You didn't kill the people meant to die, and others took their place the moment the Scythe knew your decision. It was at random, and it was bound to happen at one time or another so I don't think you're at fault. But there are others who would disagree. You might even disagree. See, if you decide to stay then maybe some terrible person will take your place. But then again so might that mother."

          I pointed to a couple and their son strolling down the sidewalk. "Maybe the dad. Maybe even the kid. Any time, anywhere, out of sight, in front of each other, however it may happen. I'm not gonna say whether or not it would be your fault. But I have a pretty good idea of whether or not you think it would be." Rose looked like she was about to throw up. "I certainly want you to stay. Even at the expense of being halfway there to creating the next Batman." Rose choked down a chuckle, hiding it as a cough.

          "That's not even funny." Rose scolded.

          "Mhmm." I agreed in mock belief.

"It's not fair."

"No, it is not."

"Can...can we go somewhere more private?" Rose asked. I nodded and stood up to face her, holding out my hand for the scythe. She got up and slowly put it in my hand, but didn't let go of it quite yet. I closed my eyes and tried to think of somewhere nice. A blue light began to glow so bright I could see it right through my eyelids. Mist tickled my face as gravity began to warp and the noises around us shifted. When I opened my eyes we were at the top of the Empire State Building. No one else was around.

"Is it past midnight already? It feels so early!" Rose laughed. I chuckled with her. Her face was strained with excitement and melancholy. "Too early..." Rose looked out over the city. My heart twisted in pain. Now I thought I might throw up. Rose took a few deep breaths, let go of the scythe, and walked to the edge of the building. "I'm ready. Can you do it without telling me when? I don't want to watch."

"Of course, Rose. Anything." I comforted her as best I could. It was time, and yet I couldn't bring myself to take a single step towards that brilliant, violent, beautiful...infuriating...terrified girl. My chest felt so tight I could barely get myself to breathe. Cold chills and painful nerves ran through my body. I hadn't felt like this about my job in ages! I truly, deeply, desperately didn't want to do it. But I had to. My grip on the scythe tightened and I silently walked up to Rose, raising it high above my head for fear of her seeing it.

"Thank you for sucking at your job just enough to make all this happen." Rose quipped.

"Thank you for being the craziest client I've ever met." I laughed.

"Apprentice? What's the afterlife like?"

"I couldn't tell you if I wanted to. I've never been there." Rose took another deep breath. She knew I was close now. I couldn't see her face in the reflection of the glass, but I could tell she was getting more upset and afraid. So did the best thing I could to distract her.

"Adam."

"What?"

"My name is Adam."

"I'm going to miss you, Adam."

"I'm going to miss you too, Rose. So much." The sunrise was beginning to peek over the horizon and filter through the shorter buildings. The sky was gradually being painted with a dazzling gold, pink, and orange glow. I swung the scythe down, and a bright flash of neon blue light erupted from the contact.