10) Crashing Chandelier

Wynter

It was New Year's Eve eve and the castle was hustling and bustling with sights, smells, and lots of food. I woke up groggy, still affected by the cold last night. My hands felt for Nick but his bedside was empty. "Nick?" I whisper, sitting up to observe the room. It was empty. I see a note taped to the bed frame and open it.

"Wyn,
I have to smooth things over with the Easter bunny after that ....dinner last night.
Santa duties. I'll see you tonight!!
I love you.

P.S: Look out your window when you wake up."

I fling from the warm covers from my body and run to look out the window.

"Mrs. Claus, are you awake?  I'm sure you saw the note Sir Claus wrote?" Holly and Jolly come in to refresh my room.

"Yes. I did Holly" I giggle, looking at the note Nick etched out in the snow. It was a beautiful iced gazebo. A sea of icy blue roses scattered across every inch. It was beautiful. In the snow were large words of "I love you" It was his display of love for me and I never felt warmer.

"Holly. Jolly. Don't take this the wrong way but what is there to do besides baking dozens of cookies and treats?" Nick was basically the king of the pole but his wife was stowed away in the kitchen. It didn't seem right.

They came in and began to draw my bath, ushering me to start my day. " Well, usually those are the duties of Mrs. Claus. Perhaps you and Sir Nick can discuss expanding your duties" Holly suggested.

I frown as they lead me to the bathroom. I excused them as I dipped into the warm bath. They stood attentively itching to bathe me themselves but it was something I was not used to. I stand and they run to wrap a towel around my body. They lead me to the dresser and begin combing my curls into a tight bun, putting a crown on my head. "I didn't think we wore crowns?"

"The Claus family usually don't but they are royalty. The other Claus family will be wearing their royal garbs as they start their visit to Claus castle tonight so you are expected." Jolly clues me in.

"Oh." I nodded. There was still much I didn't know. I still had so much to learn.

———

"So the kitchen is open any time and the chefs are at your beck and call." Holly and Jolly guide me through the castle giving me yet another tour. It was a friendlier tour that wasn't rushed, unlike Mrs. Claus's. "And this is Claus Library." Holly bragged lifting her hands to show off its grandness.

Books of every station and kind filled the mahogany-lined shelves

Books of every station and kind filled the mahogany-lined shelves. It was a beautiful room filled with magic and whimsy. "Holly?Jolly? I think found my new favorite place."

____

My fingers run against the oak and wood details. Every book had a story. A purpose. And I was itching to know more. The books were so well-detailed that I couldn't help but pick them up.