XXXVI

"He is awake. And you will worship him."
Ood, The Impossible Planet

Screaming in pain, Penelope felt all of her muscles start to pull and cramp at once as she held onto Scooti as if her life depended on it. The base shook around her and alarms were blaring, and she hoped they were for the breach she was pulling Scooti from. She knew that the younger woman was saying something, but she couldn't hear it over the way the oxygen was being pulled out from around her. If it weren't for the fact she decided to tie her hair back before leaving the TARDIS, she would not be able to see.

Something gave on Scooti's end and the pull lessened, both women falling to the floor. Scrambling, Penelope pulled her the side of the door that didn't have a breach and reached up, manually closing the door. As of now, she would never trust an automated door system again.

"Scooti, a-are you okay?"

"I should be dead, we should be dead. He- He should be dead." The younger blonde was pulling in heavy breaths, ones that would let the oxygen into her system too fast and cause her to black out. Not that Penelope could really pull her up on it, she was doing the same. It felt like she had been devoid of air for months, and this was a great relief.

"Wh- Who-" The question was never asked, and never got an answer, the ginger woman hitting the floor unceremoniously. Scooti was only able to panic for a moment before the door opened and her crew ran in, joined closely by the Doctor. Although she wasn't able to tell them much about what had happened before she, too, lost consciousness.

Seeing her motionless somehow felt worse than when she didn't have a face. At least she was moving then, what could he do for her now?

It felt like his hearts had stopped.

Then her hand twitched slightly, bringing him back to reality. Carefully he picked her up, holding her close to his chest, needing her close, needing her to be okay. He knew the breach was the other side of the door, if they had been nearby it's possible they had been under some form of oxygen deprivation, depending on how long, this might not- they both will be okay because if she isn't he doesn't know what he'd do.

After the conversation with Rose, the revelation that they didn't have the TARDIS, that they couldn't leave. He settled into the idea of staying with Penelope very quickly, something that Rose picked up on and teased him for. He couldn't even deny it, which they both knew. She had offered to provide for him in pre-revolutionary France, would that extend to everywhere? He didn't know how he went on without her, how he got through any of his previous regenerations without her by his side.

Setting her down in one of the chairs in the main room, it took a lot to leave her side, to check on Scooti liked they asked him to. He couldn't say that she was more important, because she isn't to them, but she is the only thing on her mind. Giving Rose strict instructions to not leave her side - not that she would at any point - he checked over Scooti. Both women were just recovering from taking in too much oxygen at once after a quick depletion. It got to their heads, they would be okay. It didn't do much to calm the people in the room, they would believe the Doctor when they woke up.

He knew that it was unlikely she would forgive him for what he was about to do. Brushing back her hair slightly, he kissed her forehead, lingering a moment to give her a message.

I'm sorry, wait for me.