XXI

"It would be a crime, It would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you. But that won't stop me."
The Doctor, The Girl in the Fireplace

They had bated the clockwork man out of the room, bidding goodbye to Reinette before spraying it with a fire extinguisher before hopping back to check that the little girl was okay.

Penelope rushed ahead, eager to see Reinette was okay after they left so suddenly. The Doctor grabbed her arm as she tried to rush off. It was then she took a tentative look around the room. It no longer looked like it belonged to a young girl, there was another level and it lacked the toys that it had before. She slowed down, remembering that time worked differently. She walked backwards to the Doctor, who immediately wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

"She said 1727, right? And we're in Paris?"

"Mhm." His hum reverberated against her back and it caused a slow blush to creep up her neck. But she continued, unaware of him watching her ever glowing face.

"I think I know who she is. But I can't figure out why she's so important to those clockwork.. things." He laughs quietly, impressed with her again.

"You're very good with your history, kind of hard to impress you if you keep one-upping me." She smiles.

"Sorry Doctor, but I adore history. Always have. Can't help but show off what I know considering I usually feel inept next to you." He frowns and goes to say something when a woman walks into the room. It's a good thing that Penelope has the Doctor's ring on her finger to remind her that he's there or else she would be a blushing mess at the way the woman is looking at her. The Doctor smiles, unaware of the panic that Penelope is going through as she stood between him and this stunning woman.

"Hello. Sorry to just appear like this, we're looking for a little girl. This is her room, or it might've been her room. Not sure, we've been away for a long time." A voice called from outside the room and she finally stopped looking at Penelope to respond.

"Go to the carriage, Mother. I will join you there. It is customary, I think, to have an imaginary friend only during one's childhood. You are to be congratulated on your persistence." Penelope was still starstruck, having finally caught on to who she was, so the Doctor continued, giving her a worried look.

"Reinette! Well, how you've grown." She smiles, taking a step closer, still flicking her eyes towards Penelope as she speaks with the Doctor.

"And you both do not appear to have aged a single day. That is tremendously impolite of you." Penelope shook herself out of her stupor and tried to urge the Doctor to back away, finally responding.

"It's been so nice to catch up, Reinette, but we better be off? Don't want your mother finding you up here with a strange couple, hm?" She got closer again and the Doctor himself started to back up, letting go of Penelope so they could back up properly.

"Strange? How could you be a stranger to me? I've known you since I was seven years old." She continued to walk forward

"Yeah, well I suppose you have. Sorry about that, we took the quick route." Reinette grabbed Penelope's hands, pulling her forward, causing the Doctor to freeze. He knew that Reinette wasn't a physical threat, so he couldn't understand why he was so on guard.

"You seem to be flesh and blood, at any rate, but this is absurd. Reason tells me you cannot be real." She rubbed her thumbs across Penelope's hands, as if assuring herself that she was actually there. She was met with the silver band on her ring finger and looked up to the Doctor, who smiled, trying to convince his body to move over to Penelope again.

"Oh, you never want to listen to reason." She is called again from outside the room, before turning back.

"A moment! So many questions. So little time." Reinette moved one of her hands up onto Penelope's cheek, pulling her closer when the Doctor finally moved forward, pulling her backwards so the kiss only reached thin air. They could hear the Steward getting closer so Reinette flashed an indescribable look towards both of them before smiling and leaving the room. The Doctor turned her around, holding her at arm's length and leaning down so that he could make sure she was okay. She was barely aware of the lack of space between them.

"Are you okay Penelope?"

"Do you know who that was?" He looked behind her at the door, aware that the Steward was coming and also wondering how Penelope figured the woman out before her. He led her backwards to the fireplace as she explained.

"That was Reinette Poisson! As in Madame Etoiles. And then the mistress of Louis the Fifteenth, she was, or will be I guess, the uncrowned Queen of France? She was an actress, artist, musician, dancer, courtesan and just a fantastic gardener! Did you ever see paintings of her gardens? They were amazing. And she just tried to snog me."

"Who the hell are you two?!" The Doctor was laughing at Penelope as she stood starstruck against the fireplace as he looked for the switch.

"I'm the Doctor, and Madame de Pompadour just tried to snog my wife. Ha!"

 Ha!"