III

The three of them stood watching the phone ring, praying that the people on the other end would answer. Penelope still clutched the bowl that they used to explode the slit-slith- the alien, afraid that one would come back. While she, luckily, hadn't been completely covered in alien insides she still longed for her shower downstairs.

Rose answered the phone and there was a collective sigh of relief before Jackie started shouting at her. Wincing slightly, Penelope put down the bowl and quietly said her goodbyes before slipping out the door. Sadly grateful to be away from Jackie and Rose's boyfriend.

She grabbed her bag and looked around the destroyed apartment, feeling a little sorry for them before making her way out.

She managed to get all the way to her door - on the right floor this time - before she was stopped. The man in the leather jacket was speed walking towards her. It freaked her out a little but reminded herself that he probably just saved the world.

"Hello downstairs!" It took her aback, before she shook her head.

"Downstairs?"

"Well you haven't told me your name yet, you just keep telling me that you live downstairs." She blinked, taking in the information before feeling the tips of her ears glow red again.

"Sorry about that. I guess there's been a lot going on. I'm Penelope Adaams, I live here, one below the Tyler's."

"Excellent." He bounded over to her, bouncing on the balls of his feet as his eyes glanced between her and her door. "Are you not going to invite me in then. I did just save the world. And even if you didn't, I'd find my own way in." She sighed, finally opening her door and letting some strange man into her home.

"So who are you then. Oh, and do you want any tea?"

"Yes please!" He paced around her living room, as if trying to understand her from how's she's decorated it. It's nothing much, she doesn't really need all too many things when she's on her own.

"Milk? Sugar?"

"Ooh, yes, both, thank you." She continued to make the drink, calmed by the whistling as it got hotter and hotter. Finishing both cups, she manoeuvred herself through the doorway and around the coffee table, passing his drink to him before taking a seat.

"So, who are you?" He looked at her, the woman taking a sip from an unknowingly tardis blue mug.

"I'm The Doctor." She smiles a little and he becomes a little defensive. "Alright, what's so funny about my name?"

"Nothing, it's just not what I was expecting." He smiled, but she wasn't looking, swirling the liquid in the cup. "So I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess you're an alien."

"You'd be right Miss Adaams." She turned to look at him inquisitively.

"So what are you doing here? On Earth, in the Powell Estate no less. I'm sure there are planets far more exciting than ours."

"There are, but yours seems to get in trouble quite a lot, so I like to stick around, do my bit." She nods, turning away, trying not to freak out at the prospect of an alien in her living room.

"Well I'm glad you do. Who knows what would've happened to us."

"How did it feel, Miss Adaams." She looks back again, almost drawn to his eyes.

"How did what feel?"

"To have history on your doorstep for once." She smiled softly, resting her head on the back of the sofa.

"It was thrilling and I was terrified. Still not sure what happened but I don't mind because it was exciting."

"You could come with me and Rose, see the stars, find some more interesting planets and save the Earth again." Her smile falters a little.

"Sorry Doctor, but I've got a life here. My mother needs me and I can't leave Mr Wilkins in the shop on his own. I'm worried he'd hurt himself." He frowns, it's not everyday that someone refuses to come with him. In fact it's rare that he hasn't convinced someone new that they want to see the stars.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. At the very least I can't abandon the two people in my life that count on me. No matter how far into space you travel, or how far back into time. I know Rose has been with you and gone for a year, I cannot do that to them." He looked downcast again, placing his cup down and standing up.

"Sorry for asking, I hope you do well Penelope Adaams."

"I hope to see you again Doctor, but preferably not too soon if it means the world needs saving again." He made his way out and Penelope felt tears prick at the corner of her eyes as the door closed, barely grasping the concept of what she just refused.

But knowing that people needed her here was enough to get her up and clean the glass, removing any remnants of his arrival and departure from her life.