XVII

Penelope tried to breathe normally as she walked around her flat, looking for her purse. Today she had to visit the funeral home and finish up the plan for her mother's service. Her head was up in the clouds as she approached her front door and walked out. Thankfully she snapped out of it and shoved her body backwards into the closing door, realising that, not only had she not picked up her purse, but she didn't have her house keys again.

Taking a second to run in with a clear mind - as clear as it could be - it wasn't long until she was out on the walkway again and locking the door behind her. Shoving her keys in her bag, she went back to spinning the ring on her finger. It had become a habit over the weeks that the Doctor had been gone.

Absent-mindedly, she somehow made it to her bus stop and onto the right bus. She paid her fare and sat just behind the doors, next to an older woman.

Helping down the old woman from the bus and waving goodbye, she walked into the funeral home, immediately feeling cold. The man at the counter, Ryan, greeted her, they hadn't had much choice but to become familiar as she had spent most of her time making funeral plans with him.

They went to their table in the back room and immediately started where they had left off the day before. Penelope was picking out the last song for her mother - the one for when people are leaving - when the man coughs.

"So, I can see your ring and I didn't want to make it awkward right at the beginning, and I know this is a sensitive time. But are you married?" She smiles softly, continuing to write down song names as the grown man blushes lowly before her.

"Yes I do have a husband Ryan." She could see him slump a little before picking up a pen and glancing over at her.

"And will he be coming to the funeral?"

"He said he would. I'm just waiting for him to come to me now." She puts down the pen and brushes her hands off, not bothering to give it a once over as she knew that everything was done. "That's it. I'll see you at the funeral, Ryan."

He nods, knowing that he has no chance, and packs up the papers on the table, watching her leave from the corner of his eye.

She didn't get far after walking out, taking a seat on a bench to calm her breathing. She didn't like thinking that the Doctor wouldn't come back for her. Someone sat next to her and she kept her head down, not wanting any unnecessary conversations.

"Hello Miss Adaams, if I could have a moment of your time." The ginger's head shot up to look at the source of the voice. It belonged to a middle aged woman that looked at her with a sense of professionalism she didn't think that she'd ever be able to get.

"Who are you, sorry?"

"My name is Yvonne Hartman, I am the director of the Torchwood Institute."

"Torchw-"

"Yes. We're aware of your extra-terrestrial activities with an alien known as 'The Doctor'. Usually we would take you in and take all the precautions for someone like you." Penelope is taken aback, not expecting that. "But we've had reliable information that has told us that you'd be better working for us than having you against us."

"I'm sorry but I'm not sure that I could work with you. I'm still waiting for him to come back." She was a little apprehensive, but the woman seemed understanding.

"It is an offer than remains for as long as Torchwood stands, Miss Adaams." Yvonne stands, handing the ginger girl a card, continuing to uphold the same level of professionalism. "We hope to see you soon."

Penelope watches her go, taking a deep breath before staring down at the card. That was the second time that Torchwood had come up, and both times she was invited unconditionally.

Shaking that thought away, she got up to grab a bus and threw away the card. She was with the Doctor, and no blatant messages from the universe would stop her from staying.

 She was with the Doctor, and no blatant messages from the universe would stop her from staying