XXV

"What happened? Where did the time window go? How's he going to get back?"
Mickey, The Girl in the Fireplace

Once again, Reinette was racing through the castle. Although this was the first time she was running for her life. The screams of her guests echoed through the halls and all she could do was hope that Penelope was able to hold herself as she ran for the fireplace.

Most of her running was blurred, she couldn't really remember what she said to get the Doctor's attention. Something about not knowing where Penelope was and the clock on the mantle. The King raced into the doorway, looking dishevelled and confused. He called out for Reinette, unsure of what she was doing and wondering where Penelope had gotten to.

It wasn't long before both were intercepted by the droids, taken to the ballroom with everyone else.

The towering golden room, that they had taken so long to prepare, seemed to glare under their misfortune. Reinette was led in with the King, both of them looking for their ginger friend. She was not in the room, which immediately caused them to worry. With a quick look to each other, there was a silent agreement to not let on that she wasn't here. Whilst the King didn't know her as Reinette did, he had a confusing amount of confidence in her abilities.

Stepping forward, Reinette tried her hardest to calm the crowd, "Could everyone just calm down? Please." She looked around the room, still searching for Penelope. "Such a commotion. Such distressing noise. Kindly remember that this is Versailles. This is the Royal Court, and we are French."

There was a little commotion by the doors before they flew open, three droids dragging in Penelope. One of the droids were damaged and the ginger woman was threatening them for all she's worth. The one in red stepped forward as they forced her to her knees, holding the blade to her throat.

"You will come with us. Or she will die." There was a rising panic in Reinette as she wondered what the Doctor would do if Penelope died before he got there. But they had talked about this, Penelope told her that even if her life was at risk she was to refuse anything they said to give the Doctor more time.

"I have made a decision. And my decision is no, I shall not be going with you today. I have seen your world, and I have no desire to set foot there again." The mask covered head tipped sideways, not moving from the ginger woman.

"She will die."

"You think we fear you, you think I fear you, but I do not fear you even now. You are merely the nightmare of my childhood. The monster from under my bed. And if my nightmare can return to plague me, then rest assured, so will yours." The arm of the droid swung up, meaning to hit Penelope, as the mirror behind them burst. Shards of glass went everywhere as a horse landed in the middle of the hall.

There was a moment of silence as the Doctor dismounted and looked around the room. He finally saw Penelope and it was like there was no one else in the room. But there was, and Reinette coughed lowly. He turned and grinned.

"Madame de Pompadour. You look younger every day." King Louis stepped forward, angry about the mirror and still very confused at what was happening.

"What the hell is going on?"

"Oh. This is Penelope's date to the ball and my lover, the King of France." The Doctor looks him up and down, unimpressed, and the man actually feels internal disappointment.

"Yeah? Well, I'm the Lord of Time, and I'm here to fix the clock." He rips off the mask of the closest droid and the blade springs up to his neck. Behind him, the droid that was threatening Penelope earlier started to move again.

"Uh, Doctor? Any chance you could hurry that up."

"It's over. For you and for me. Talk about seven years bad luck. Try three thousand." The droids all seemed to falter as they realised they couldn't make contact with the ship. Slowly but surely, they all fell apart, leaving the guests far calmer.

The Doctor walked towards Penelope, who was pushing off the arms of the droids that had fallen on her. Despite the ripped dress and frayed hair, to him she still seemed to glow. It was indescribable and desirable. She was right, it had only been 5 minutes of his time, but she was 5 years older. He watched this 26 year old woman age from behind a mirror, hating every time he realised he hadn't checked for a minute or so it burned to see how far she had grown without him.

He didn't have much time without her, but there was an adjacent mirror from a few years back that held the same room abuzz with a party. He could spot Penelope from a mile away, the girl always somehow pulling him in. She was wearing red and gold again, her hair was tied up - but he knew it was longer - and she was surrounded by the members of the French court. Both the men and the women watched on in awe as she spoke with Reinette and the King. He guessed it was pretty early on in her 5 years as they all seemed to be stunned by her appearance in the room.

Although he didn't much like the way the King had become enamoured with her over the years, he knew she waited for him. Which was something he hardly dared to indulge himself in - she waited for him.

She looked up at him and there was an aged wisdom behind her smile that made his chest ache.

"Hello Doctor, any chance you could give a woman a hand." He took her outstretched hand and pulled her up. Despite the calm manner that she spoke to him with, inside she was bouncing off the walls. "What happens now?"

"Whatever you want. Although I'm pretty sure you're stuck with me for a while." She smiled wide, pulling him down to her level and holding him close. He only just bid her goodbye and yet she waited years for this again. He pulled back from the hug, giving her a playful glare. "Now, what's this I hear about you being the King"s date?"

 "Now, what's this I hear about you being the King"s date?"