Part 4 - The Richmond Cocktail

It's already Saturday, after spending the whole week moving my stuff from my old dorm to "The Royal", the place where the administration lives, it's time for the Richmond cocktail.

I still can't believe that arsehole lied to me and kept information from me. That comfortable room at The Royal is my due, I am the head of a council composed of me, me and me.

The bed is amazing, the mattress is bouncy and it feels like sleeping in a dream, my room is rather large and the only other person living on the same floor as me is Lin, who's basically a zombie that doesn't talk or...live. The point is: it's quiet.

I wish I could be there, reading a good book or watching a series instead of here, stuck in a tight dress and uncomfortable with the idea of my parents, complicated people, meeting Tom, a complicated person.

What could go wrong?

Oh no, last time I said that something actually went wrong...

Here you can find champagne and crazily expensive dresses and tuxedos as the 'upper-society' gathers for this yearly celebration. The house is decorated in shining lights, the whole garden prepared to receive something like two hundred people, everything is perfect, everything is there, except for one thing.

"He's not gonna come."

"Of course he's going to come, he promised." My sister Marylou tries to calm me down.

"But who knows what's going on inside his head, he's stubborn and it's impossible to know what he's thinking about." I sigh.

"How is he in general?" She suddenly sounds interested.

"Cold, like a freaking living icicle, I swear he almost froze me to death once!" I exclaim and it makes her laugh, "but you're right, I know he's gonna come because he's one of these people you can count on, he's always where he's supposed to be, and he always seem to know where he's supposed to be, it's like he knows something the rest of the world ignores..."

When I hear my sister giggle I frown at her, "it's just..." she smiles, "he's kinda your perfect opposite, you're always clueless and pretty lost all the time."

"Why, thank you." I deadpan.

"It's probably part of why Richard broke up with you" why is she bringing that up... "he's always supported you but at some point I think he just realised he grew up...and not you." Wow, Marylou really is straightforward, I don't think she realises how hurtful her words are.

"You're right." I smile, "I gotta find Tom now." I leave her standing with her perfect dress and her glass of champagne in hand.

I'm already nervous enough about Mr Death stare meeting my parents and she has to bother me too...

"Ida?" A voice stops me as I'm strolling through the crowd.

I turn around and something in me awakes, something that I thought I got rid of but no, even after several months without seeing him, it's still here. "Hi Richard." There he is, standing in all his glory, it's funny how love can mess with your head, I don't want him to be here and yet, a part of me is so glad he's right there in front of me.

"It's been so long, I missed you!" He says enthusiastically before capturing me inside his arms, god it feels good even though it shouldn't...

"How's it been going?" I ask, awkwardly as I slowly push on his chest to escape his deadly embrace that I love but hate so much.

"You cut your hair." he takes a strand inside his hand and smiles absentmindedly, "you look beautiful." See, that's what I'm talking about, I can't move on because everytime he opens his goddamn mouth I can feel hundreds of butterflies swarming inside of me.