22. Count down

'Get out the car Damon' Diana said sternly

'What's going on Diana?' Damon questioned, 'who's the Master? And why do you need Elena so badly? Do you just hate her that much? Please take me instead.'

'I said get out the car Damon' Diana repeated

'No, explain'

Diana bent down and looked directly into the car, she looked past Damon's eyes and straight into Elena's and mouthed something quietly. Damon turned his gaze to Elena's face but the next thing he knew she was grabbing him from around the neck and pulling him across the car seats.

'What the hell Elena?' Damon shouted

'Ahhhh' Elena screamed back pulling Damon and grabbing fistfuls of his hair

'What did you do?' Damon asked Diana, he didn't want to hurt Elena, but she was about to pull his hair out.

'Elena, please' Damon asked quietly, he gently grabbed her hands and pulled her off him, she obviously had strong vampire strength, but he was older. Damon swung open the door and jumped out the car, he swirled around and stared Diana in the eye, 'tell me what is going on now' he said through gritted teeth

Diana stared down at him through narrowed eyes, 'back off' she said 'seriously Damon, what is so good about Elena? Is she really that worth it? Just let me have her and we can be together again, don't you miss your twin?'

'No' Damon replied quietly after some thought, 'I don't want this, Diana. I missed you, I really did, but you were gone so long, and I think I mourned you enough. You're not the same person I once knew, something changed in you, and I really don't know what you've gotten yourself into with this Master thing'

Diana looked down at the ground and it almost seemed like for a second she was going to break down or say she was sorry, but instead her phone started ringing and she grabbed for it instantly. Damon snatched it out of her hand and used vampire speed to get away, he pressed answer and hid behind a tree, still watching Elena in the car, she was safe but not right, she was staring out at nothing.

'Diana, what is the update on the doppelgänger blood?'

'Not going well Master' Damon replied in a mock tone

'Who is this?'

'Who is this?'

'Where's Diana?'

'Come find her' Damon replied hitting end.

'Damon' Diana yelled grabbing Damon by the throat and pinning him to the tree 'I missed his call do you know how much trouble that will get me in?' Diana was beside herself; she grabbed the phone out of Damon's hand and stared in disbelief at the phone call she had just missed. Without missing a beat Damon raced back to the car, making sure Elena was bucked in and drove back to Whitemore College.

Damon dragged Elena back towards her dorm, which wasn't hard, but she was trying to pull her hand away from him.

'Elena!' Caroline screeched as we rushed through their dorm room, 'are you okay?'

'No!' she screamed jumping into Caroline's arms

'I think you are' Bonnie sighed rubbing Elena's back 'Damon's not going to hurt you'

Elena's eyes were wide with fear 'I can't talk to him'

Caroline walked Elena over to her bed to sit her down.

'What's going on?' Bonnie questioned Damon

Damon sighed 'look, I didn't want to get anyone involved. I wanted to deal with Diana myself. I think she is under control, but someone called the Master and she seems to have done something to Elena'